    list product vendors/names. I would greatly appreciate any help, as I
    am only experienced with VHDL compilation/simulation.

    -Brandon

    Crimson_M, Sep 8, 2003

  2. On 8 Sep 2003 13:36:22 -0700, (Crimson_M) wrote:

    >Is anyone familiar with Mentor Graphics tools? I am currently using
    >ModelSim 5.5e at school. After I have compiled and functionally
    >verified my VHDL design I would like to synthesize my HDL description
    >into a transistor level design. From there I would like to perform a
    >more detailed timing and power analysis using some standard cell
    >libraries.
    >
    >Is this possible?

    Yes ... but probably for a price, using standard cell technology.

    Using FPGA, you can do it at a much lower price (including free). Since
    you talk about school, I'll assume this is important, and refer to
    Xilinx FPGAs.

    >In the past I have used Cadence's design tools, namely Virtuoso for
    >layout and schematic level. Is it possible with today's automated
    >design software to transform a HDL description into a transistor level
    >description, say, fit for Cadence or other CAD tools? If so, please
    >list product vendors/names. I would greatly appreciate any help, as I
    >am only experienced with VHDL compilation/simulation.

    After simulation (the design now works, right?) you synthesise ... not
    quite down to the transistor level, but to whatever low-level primitive
    circuit functions your technology vendor supports, as a netlist in EDIF
    format. For Xilinx, that would typically be 4-input lookup tables
    (implementing any 4-input logic function) and flip-flops, and a few
    others.

    Synthesis tools: Xilinx Webpack (_big_ free download - www.xilinx.com )
    or Mentor Leonardo (now Precision Synthesis) or Synplify - the latter
    two are fairly big money. Leonardo (some versions) can plug in other
    technology libraries, including some standard cell libraries.

    Following this, the EDIF netlist is mapped, (optionally floorplanned, if
    you want to control circuit placement for better performance), placed
    and routed, to the target chip. The complete circuit can now be written
    out in VHDL as a gate-level netlist, annotated with timing information
    in a separate .SDF file. (Tools: Xilinx Webpack again or Xilinx
    Alliance. Specific to that manufacturer's technology, obviously!)

    These two files (.vhd and .sdf) can be loaded into Modelsim for
    simulation. If your I/O ports are std_logic[_vector] (as opposed to
    signed/unsigned or anything fancier) the .vhd can drop straight into the
    same testbench you used for the original simulation.

    Now you have timing simulations. Power is another matter ... look at
    Xilinx website for XPower power estimation software, which (I think)
    interacts with Modelsim simulation results.

    Plus ... unlike standard cell ... if you targeted the right chip, you
    can run the finished design on a low-cost demo board - Insight or
    www.xess.com come to mind.

    Alternatively, there are other FPGA manufacturers such as Altera
    ( www.altera.com ) with basically similar tool chains, or you may have
    access to some standard cell technology from school.

    - Brian

    Brian Drummond, Sep 9, 2003