    errors (using name, file position...).

    Thanks
    -Mathieu
    mathieu, Jun 28, 2008

  2. Martin Honnen, Jun 28, 2008

  3. mathieu

    Peter Flynn Guest

    mathieu wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > Could someone please suggest an open source implementation of a
    > validating XML parser ?

    SP is at ftp://ftp.jclark.com/pub/sp/sp-1.3.4.tar.gz
    rxp is at http://www.inf.ed.ac.uk/research/isdd/admin/package?view=1&id=80

    > I am interested in how this thing can
    > (should?) be designed. In particular how the errors should be handle:

    This is always a problem, since the author cannot know what the user
    wants to do on a given occasion: stop or continue.

    > 1. If one at a time, it make is difficult to handle from a GUI, since
    > only one error can be corrected at a time

    And when the first error is corrected, the validation must start again
    from the beginning.

    > 2. All errors are reported, which means that false positive may be
    > reported

    This is very common because an error may not be recognisable as such
    until some later condition makes it impossible to continue.

    > Also how does the implementation report which elements contains
    > errors (using name, file position...).

    onsgmls reports line number and character position, and optionally the
    names of open entities. In a synchronous typographical interface, an
    error can be indicated by many means (highlighting, change of focus,
    error log, ...)

    ///Peter
    --
    XML FAQ: http://xml.silmaril.ie/
    Peter Flynn, Jun 29, 2008
  4. mathieu wrote:
    > 1. If one at a time, it make is difficult to handle from a GUI, since
    > only one error can be corrected at a time
    > 2. All errors are reported, which means that false positive may be
    > reported

    > Also how does the implementation report which elements contains
    > errors (using name, file position...).

    I honestly believe XPath to the offending point is a more meaningful way
    to report this, but whether it's more useful depends in part on the
    quality of the tooling available to the user (and/or the user's skill
    level).
    Joseph J. Kesselman, Jun 30, 2008