    that might not even be language-specific? Most of my Java questions seem
    to be along the lines of what's the object-oriented way to do things,
    rather than specific language questions.

    fishfry, Dec 25, 2004

  2. fishfry

    IINET Guest

    There a bunch of good forums at www.javaranch.com - in the 'Big Moose
    Saloon' - I think you will find something slong these lines in here.

    Andles

    IINET, Dec 25, 2004

  3. fishfry

    Tony Morris Guest

    "fishfry" <> wrote in message
    > I'm redesigning a bunch of batch feeds for an IT org. I was wondering if
    > there is any literature on design patterns for batch processing, ie
    > command-line programs that read a record, do something, read the next
    > record, etc.
    >
    > Also, where besides this newsgroup can people ask design-type questions
    > that might not even be language-specific? Most of my Java questions seem
    > to be along the lines of what's the object-oriented way to do things,
    > rather than specific language questions.

    I have found a feeble, naive and malleable mind!
    I would like to preach to you my propagandic messages regarding OO design,
    and philosophies.
    Look out for an article next year where I offer such messages more formally,
    and more disguised so as to suck you in!
    Here are some in brief:
    All constructors must be declared with an access scope of 'private' -
    constructors violate encapsulation.
    All classes must be declared unsubclassable (final in the context of Java)
    because inheritance from non-pure virtual types (interfaces) is an evil
    antipattern.
    All references must be of a pure virtual reference type - interfacing
    through anything but an interface makes the Gods angry!
    All switch/case statements (and excessive (>4) if/else constructs) must be
    replaced with an implementation of the Strategy Design Pattern - procedural
    thought went out of fashion in kindergarten.
    All non-private methods of a non-private class must be static and have a
    return type of a pure virtual type (or value type in some contexts).

    --
    Tony Morris
    http://xdweb.net/~dibblego/

    Tony Morris, Dec 26, 2004
  4. "Tony Morris" <> writes:

    > "fishfry" <> wrote in message
    > > I'm redesigning a bunch of batch feeds for an IT org. I was wondering if
    > > there is any literature on design patterns for batch processing, ie
    > > command-line programs that read a record, do something, read the next
    > > record, etc.
    > >
    > > Also, where besides this newsgroup can people ask design-type questions
    > > that might not even be language-specific? Most of my Java questions seem
    > > to be along the lines of what's the object-oriented way to do things,
    > > rather than specific language questions.

    > I have found a feeble, naive and malleable mind!
    > I would like to preach to you my propagandic messages regarding OO design,
    > and philosophies.
    > Look out for an article next year where I offer such messages more formally,
    > and more disguised so as to suck you in!
    > Here are some in brief:
    > All constructors must be declared with an access scope of 'private' -
    > constructors violate encapsulation.
    > All classes must be declared unsubclassable (final in the context of Java)
    > because inheritance from non-pure virtual types (interfaces) is an evil
    > antipattern.
    > All references must be of a pure virtual reference type - interfacing
    > through anything but an interface makes the Gods angry!
    > All switch/case statements (and excessive (>4) if/else constructs) must be
    > replaced with an implementation of the Strategy Design Pattern - procedural
    > thought went out of fashion in kindergarten.
    > All non-private methods of a non-private class must be static and have a
    > return type of a pure virtual type (or value type in some contexts).

    Sounds like a very complex way to introduce functional programming.

    Peter

    Peter Sestoft, Dec 26, 2004
  5. fishfry

    Tony Morris Guest

    "Peter Sestoft" <> wrote in message
    > "Tony Morris" <> writes:
    >
    > > "fishfry" <> wrote in message
    > > > I'm redesigning a bunch of batch feeds for an IT org. I was wondering

    if
    > > > there is any literature on design patterns for batch processing, ie
    > > > command-line programs that read a record, do something, read the next
    > > > record, etc.
    > > >
    > > > Also, where besides this newsgroup can people ask design-type

    questions
    > > > that might not even be language-specific? Most of my Java questions

    seem
    > > > to be along the lines of what's the object-oriented way to do things,
    > > > rather than specific language questions.

    > > I have found a feeble, naive and malleable mind!
    > > I would like to preach to you my propagandic messages regarding OO

    design,
    > > and philosophies.
    > > Look out for an article next year where I offer such messages more

    formally,
    > > and more disguised so as to suck you in!
    > > Here are some in brief:
    > > All constructors must be declared with an access scope of 'private' -
    > > constructors violate encapsulation.
    > > All classes must be declared unsubclassable (final in the context of

    Java)
    > > because inheritance from non-pure virtual types (interfaces) is an evil
    > > antipattern.
    > > All references must be of a pure virtual reference type - interfacing
    > > through anything but an interface makes the Gods angry!
    > > All switch/case statements (and excessive (>4) if/else constructs) must

    be
    > > replaced with an implementation of the Strategy Design Pattern -

    procedural
    > > thought went out of fashion in kindergarten.
    > > All non-private methods of a non-private class must be static and have a
    > > return type of a pure virtual type (or value type in some contexts).

    > Sounds like a very complex way to introduce functional programming.
    >
    > Peter

    Uh, it's a pure OO way of thinking, ensuring a lot of known OO antipatterns
    can not be introduced, even unintentionally.
    It's not as I'm guessing you have interpreted it.
    I promise to document it formally (perhaps I should have shut up until
    then).

    --
    Tony Morris
    http://xdweb.net/~dibblego/

    Tony Morris, Dec 26, 2004
  6. fishfry

    Chris Smith Guest

    fishfry <> wrote:
    > I'm redesigning a bunch of batch feeds for an IT org. I was wondering if
    > there is any literature on design patterns for batch processing, ie
    > command-line programs that read a record, do something, read the next
    > record, etc.

    Design patterns are mostly the same regardless of the kind of
    application you're writing. The most significant aspect of your
    description above is not that it's batch processing, but that it doesn't
    sound much like a very complex task. If your task lacks complexity,
    then most design patterns are pretty much irrelevant anyway. Otherwise,
    use your existing knowledge.

    > Also, where besides this newsgroup can people ask design-type questions
    > that might not even be language-specific? Most of my Java questions seem
    > to be along the lines of what's the object-oriented way to do things,
    > rather than specific language questions.

    As far as most of us are concerned, any questions that are generally
    useful in Java programming are appropriate for this newsgroup.
    Unfortunately, there are an increasing number of netcops around lately
    who start every message by telling you what you should have done
    differently. I'd just ignore them if I were you.

    More abstract questions on OO design can go to comp.object, and on
    design patterns to comp.software.patterns.

    --
    www.designacourse.com

    MindIQ Corporation

    Chris Smith, Dec 27, 2004