Design pattern(s) for batch processing?

fishfry

I'm redesigning a bunch of batch feeds for an IT org. I was wondering if
there is any literature on design patterns for batch processing, ie
command-line programs that read a record, do something, read the next
record, etc.

Also, where besides this newsgroup can people ask design-type questions
that might not even be language-specific? Most of my Java questions seem
to be along the lines of what's the object-oriented way to do things,
rather than specific language questions.

Tony Morris

fishfry said:
I'm redesigning a bunch of batch feeds for an IT org. I was wondering if
there is any literature on design patterns for batch processing, ie
command-line programs that read a record, do something, read the next
record, etc.

Also, where besides this newsgroup can people ask design-type questions
that might not even be language-specific? Most of my Java questions seem
to be along the lines of what's the object-oriented way to do things,
rather than specific language questions.

I have found a feeble, naive and malleable mind!
I would like to preach to you my propagandic messages regarding OO design,
and philosophies.
Look out for an article next year where I offer such messages more formally,
and more disguised so as to suck you in!
Here are some in brief:
All constructors must be declared with an access scope of 'private' -
constructors violate encapsulation.
All classes must be declared unsubclassable (final in the context of Java)
because inheritance from non-pure virtual types (interfaces) is an evil
antipattern.
All references must be of a pure virtual reference type - interfacing
through anything but an interface makes the Gods angry!
All switch/case statements (and excessive (>4) if/else constructs) must be
replaced with an implementation of the Strategy Design Pattern - procedural
thought went out of fashion in kindergarten.
All non-private methods of a non-private class must be static and have a
return type of a pure virtual type (or value type in some contexts).

Peter Sestoft

Tony Morris said:
[...]

Sounds like a very complex way to introduce functional programming.

Peter

Tony Morris

Peter Sestoft said:
Sounds like a very complex way to introduce functional programming.

Peter

Uh, it's a pure OO way of thinking, ensuring a lot of known OO antipatterns
can not be introduced, even unintentionally.
It's not as I'm guessing you have interpreted it.
I promise to document it formally (perhaps I should have shut up until
then).

Chris Smith

fishfry said:
I'm redesigning a bunch of batch feeds for an IT org. I was wondering if
there is any literature on design patterns for batch processing, ie
command-line programs that read a record, do something, read the next
record, etc.

Design patterns are mostly the same regardless of the kind of
application you're writing. The most significant aspect of your
description above is not that it's batch processing, but that it doesn't
sound much like a very complex task. If your task lacks complexity,
then most design patterns are pretty much irrelevant anyway. Otherwise,
use your existing knowledge.
Also, where besides this newsgroup can people ask design-type questions
that might not even be language-specific? Most of my Java questions seem
to be along the lines of what's the object-oriented way to do things,
rather than specific language questions.

As far as most of us are concerned, any questions that are generally
useful in Java programming are appropriate for this newsgroup.
Unfortunately, there are an increasing number of netcops around lately
who start every message by telling you what you should have done
differently. I'd just ignore them if I were you.

More abstract questions on OO design can go to comp.object, and on
design patterns to comp.software.patterns.

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation