Design Patterns for a Large Web Service?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Spam Catcher, Feb 13, 2008.

  1. Spam Catcher

    Spam Catcher Guest

    Hello Everyone,

    I'm preparing to build a large web service that spans 10 - 15 components
    with each component having 10 - 20 methods each.

    What is the best way to organize such a web service?

    Should each component have it's own ASMX file?

    Should I have one large ASMX file with all the functions?

    Should I have a couple main functions which accept a DTO that describes
    what to process?

    Some of the functions I'll be building include:

    Starting/Stopping Services
    Retrieving data from a subsystem (i.e. List of Campaigns, Creating Users,
    etc.)

    Are there any documents online that have information on how to organize a
    large web service? Most of the examples I've seen only deal with trival 1
    or 2 method HelloWorld type examples.

    Thanks!

    --
    (Do not e-mail)

    Spam Catcher, Feb 13, 2008

  2. Spam Catcher

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    <http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=design+pattern+for+web+services&btnG=Google+Search>

    Mr. Arnold, Feb 13, 2008

  3. Spam Catcher

    Spam Catcher Guest

    "Mr. Arnold" <MR. > wrote in

    > "Spam Catcher" <> wrote in message
    >> Are there any documents online that have information on how to
    >> organize a large web service? Most of the examples I've seen only
    >> deal with trival 1 or 2 method HelloWorld type examples.
    >>

    > <http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=design pattern for web services&b
    > tnG=Google+Search>

    Like I said, most examples I've seen deal with a trival examples.

    Now if someone can post useful information, I'll be most appreciative.

    Thanks!

    --
    (Do not e-mail)

    Spam Catcher, Feb 13, 2008
  4. Spam Catcher

    > "Mr. Arnold" <MR. > wrote in
    >

    >> "Spam Catcher" <> wrote in message
    >>> Are there any documents online that have information on how to
    >>> organize a large web service? Most of the examples I've seen only
    >>> deal with trival 1 or 2 method HelloWorld type examples.
    >>>

    >> <http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=design pattern for web services&b
    >> tnG=Google+Search>

    > Like I said, most examples I've seen deal with a trival examples.
    >
    > Now if someone can post useful information, I'll be most appreciative.

    If you can't find it and you're suppose to have some kind of expertise in
    Web services, then where do you think it's going to be? :) There maybe no
    rabbits coming out of the hat for you on this one, and you may have to roll
    your own.

    Mr. Arnold, Feb 13, 2008
  5. Spam Catcher

    Spam Catcher Guest

    "Mr. Arnold" <MR. > wrote in

    >> Like I said, most examples I've seen deal with a trival examples.
    >>
    >> Now if someone can post useful information, I'll be most
    >> appreciative.
    >>

    > If you can't find it and you're suppose to have some kind of expertise
    > in Web services, then where do you think it's going to be? :) There
    > maybe no rabbits coming out of the hat for you on this one, and you
    > may have to roll your own.

    I was asking for suggestions, if you don't have any suggestions, please do
    not respond.

    --
    (Do not e-mail)

    Spam Catcher, Feb 14, 2008
  6. Spam Catcher

    > "Mr. Arnold" <MR. > wrote in
    >
    >>> Like I said, most examples I've seen deal with a trival examples.
    >>>
    >>> Now if someone can post useful information, I'll be most
    >>> appreciative.
    >>>

    >> If you can't find it and you're suppose to have some kind of expertise
    >> in Web services, then where do you think it's going to be? :) There
    >> maybe no rabbits coming out of the hat for you on this one, and you
    >> may have to roll your own.
    >>

    > I was asking for suggestions, if you don't have any suggestions, please do
    > not respond.

    When I first got into design patterns, I used the Head First Design
    patterns which was in Java, because there was nothing for .Net, which I was
    able to apply those patterns to .Net solutions.

    Here is some stuff for Java Web services that you maybe able to apply or
    maybe some other Java books in the area, which was in the link I provided as
    a whole. I doubt that you're going to find anything dealing with .Net Web
    services other than Hello World.

    http://www.amazon.com/Web-Services-Patterns-Paul-Monday/dp/1590590848

    Mr. Arnold, Feb 14, 2008
  7. Spam Catcher

    Spam Catcher Guest

    "Mr. Arnold" <MR. > wrote in

    > When I first got into design patterns, I used the Head First Design
    > patterns which was in Java, because there was nothing for .Net, which
    > I was able to apply those patterns to .Net solutions.
    >
    > Here is some stuff for Java Web services that you maybe able to apply
    > or maybe some other Java books in the area, which was in the link I
    > provided as a whole. I doubt that you're going to find anything
    > dealing with .Net Web services other than Hello World.
    >
    > http://www.amazon.com/Web-Services-Patterns-Paul-Monday/dp/1590590848

    Thank you, I'll take a look at the book :)

    --
    (Do not e-mail)

    Spam Catcher, Feb 14, 2008
  8. I've just begun the process of designing a framework for web services in our
    company. One thing I found was
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb931187.aspx. It looks very cool.

    John Saunders | MVP - Windows Server System - Connected System Developer

    John Saunders [MVP], Feb 19, 2008