design patterns

David Eynon

I just purchased "Design Patterns - Elements of Reusable object oriented
Software". (ISBN 0-201-63361-2) How relevant is it to Java? ON the first
chapter, it mentioned multiple inheritance which isn't allowed in java
except through the use of interfaces. Also, this book is published in 1995
before java became well-known. I am going to try to proceed reading with an
open mind, trying to shut out any knowledge of java and then try to
translate it in other languages such as java in my mind, as i've read many
amazon reviews stating the invaluability of this book... Any other
suggestions? perhaps other good "java design patterns" books?
thanks,
Dave

Joona I Palaste

David Eynon said:
I just purchased "Design Patterns - Elements of Reusable object oriented
Software". (ISBN 0-201-63361-2) How relevant is it to Java? ON the first
chapter, it mentioned multiple inheritance which isn't allowed in java
except through the use of interfaces. Also, this book is published in 1995
before java became well-known. I am going to try to proceed reading with an
open mind, trying to shut out any knowledge of java and then try to
translate it in other languages such as java in my mind, as i've read many
amazon reviews stating the invaluability of this book... Any other
suggestions? perhaps other good "java design patterns" books?
thanks,

Design Patterns are very relevant to Java. I have used several in my
code. Abstract Factory and MVC for example. The lecturer on one of my
Java courses even included Design Patterns as part of the course.

--
/-- Joona Palaste ([email protected]) ---------------------------\
"There's no business like slow business."

Randall R Schulz

David,

There is "Java (tm) Design Patterns -- A Tutorial" by James W. Cooper,
(c) 2000 Addison Wesley, ISBN 0-201-48539-7.

It covers 34 patterns in 3 categories: Creational (sic), Structural
and Behavioral. There is a section on patterns specific to JFC
programming.

I have acquired this title, but have as yet not paid too much
attention to it, so I cannot give you an evaluation of its quality.

Randall Schulz

brougham3

David Eynon said:
I just purchased "Design Patterns - Elements of Reusable object oriented
Software". (ISBN 0-201-63361-2) How relevant is it to Java?

Design patterns are language independent.

Don't worry that many of the examples are in Smalltalk or in C++. If
nothing else, design patterns form a meta language that enables you to
communicate better with other developers.

There's nothing novel or new in the book you purchased (also known as the
GOF book...Gang of Four...Gamma, Vlissides, Johnson, and...hmm....I don't
remember the fourth author.) What was new was assigning names and
categorizing the idioms so that developers could communicate their designs
using larger building blocks.

Jim

I just purchased "Design Patterns - Elements of Reusable object oriented
Software". (ISBN 0-201-63361-2) How relevant is it to Java? ON the first
chapter, it mentioned multiple inheritance which isn't allowed in java
except through the use of interfaces. Also, this book is published in 1995
before java became well-known. I am going to try to proceed reading with an
open mind, trying to shut out any knowledge of java and then try to
translate it in other languages such as java in my mind, as i've read many
amazon reviews stating the invaluability of this book... Any other
suggestions? perhaps other good "java design patterns" books?
thanks,
Dave

With many of the design patterns you can use Java interfaces to
implement the pattern. Multiple inheritance isn't too much of a
problem as the patterns are usually concerned with behavior.

I will also recommend Bruce Eckel's "Thinking in Patterns." It's
a good read.

Also. I bought my "Design Patterns" in HTML format and have found
it to be much more usefull than the hardcopy. (Cheaper too)

Jim

Harald Hein

David Eynon said:
I just purchased "Design Patterns - Elements of Reusable object
oriented Software". (ISBN 0-201-63361-2) How relevant is it to
Java?

As relevant as a general, practical book on design pattens can get. The
GOF book, as this book is called among the initiated, is a well written
introduction to design patterns for practioneers. The language doesn't
matter.
ON the first chapter, it mentioned multiple inheritance
which isn't allowed in java except through the use of interfaces.

So what? You have many options. Among them: Skip the chapter, or learn
something which does not exist in Java but in other OO languages. You
can never know enough. Abstract the concepts from the concrete
language, and you get the most out of the book.
Also, this book is published in 1995 before java became
well-known.

So what? Many good books have been published before Java was published.
That doesn't make them less relevant.
Any other suggestions? perhaps other good "java design patterns"
books? thanks,

All the Java pattern books I have seen are shit. The "better" ones are
of the mee-too kind. The really really bad ones are written by clueless
people, declaring everything they can get their hands on as a pattern.
Patterns are summaries of existing practice. As such the GOF book is
well written, while the Java pattern books I know are not.

Other good pattern books are what are called the Siemens books (the
authors of the first part work for Siemens):

A System of Patterns. Pattern- Oriented Software Architecture.
By Frank Buschmann, Regine Meunier, Hans Rohnert.

Pattern- Oriented Software Architecture 2. Patterns for Concurrent and
Networked Objects. By Douglas Schmidt, Michael Stal, Hans Rohnert.

If you want Java specific stuff, look for Java idioms, not for
patterns.

HH

Dave Glasser

I just purchased "Design Patterns - Elements of Reusable object oriented
Software". (ISBN 0-201-63361-2) How relevant is it to Java? ON the first
chapter, it mentioned multiple inheritance which isn't allowed in java
except through the use of interfaces. Also, this book is published in 1995
before java became well-known. I am going to try to proceed reading with an
open mind, trying to shut out any knowledge of java and then try to
translate it in other languages such as java in my mind, as i've read many
amazon reviews stating the invaluability of this book... Any other
suggestions? perhaps other good "java design patterns" books?

Out of the scores of programming books I've bought and read over the
years, Design Patterns is the only one that I felt made me a
significantly better programmer than I had been before, simply by
reading it and digesting the concepts it presents.

I also have James Cooper's book, which someone mentioned in this
thread. It's OK, but if you had to pick one, I'd recommend the
original.

The patterns I learned in that book have been very useful, however I
think the biggest benefit was that it taught me to approach the
software design process in a different way than I had before. I
learned to recognize hurdles and problems that occur in multiple
places throughout a system, and summarize them with a generalized
problem statement. Once you've reduced the recurring problems to a
generic description, it's not usually hard to come up with a generic
solution--i.e. a design pattern--that can be tweaked and applied
wherever it's needed.

On the downside, I've seen a lot of developers get carried away with
design patterns, and apply them where there's no real problem that
needs solving. Don't let yourself fall into that trap.

As for their relevance to Java, they're relevant to all OO languages.
One particular relevance they have to Java, however, is that knowledge
of the GoF design patterns will give you insight into the thought
process that went into the design of much of the standard Java API.
The collections framework and Swing are two good examples of this that
come to mind.

Patrick Meuser

David Eynon said:
amazon reviews stating the invaluability of this book... Any other
suggestions? perhaps other good "java design patterns" books?
thanks,
Dave

For J2EE patterns, try the following link,
http://www.ciol.com/content/search/showarticle1.asp?artid=30536

The article discusses some interesting patterns relevant to enterprise
applications in Java. You'll probably need to register with CIOL in order
to view the article, however the site is highly recommended as an Java
resource overall.

Patrick Meuser

Tim Jowers

Patrick Meuser said:
For J2EE patterns, try the following link,
http://www.ciol.com/content/search/showarticle1.asp?artid=30536

The article discusses some interesting patterns relevant to enterprise
applications in Java. You'll probably need to register with CIOL in order
to view the article, however the site is highly recommended as an Java
resource overall.

Patrick Meuser

I liked the GoF book and Linda Rising's The Pattern Almanac. Her's is
especially good for realizing the various names used for patterns in
various industries etc.

Trevor Brosnan

The books that are perfect for Java are by Mark Grand, published by
Wiley:

Patterns In Java Vol1
Patterns In Java Vol2
Java Enterprise Design Patterns

The 1st Volume is probably most relevant in respect to the GOF book.
These books have been bibles for me over the last year or so.

Trevor

Jason

Design Patterns is the seminal work on the topic though from a Java
standpoint the code samples must be taken with a grain of salt as they
were written for SmallTalk. There are newer books on Design Patterns,
but this is the book by which they are all judged.