Design principles in C++ (especially converning templates and library development)?

Discussion in 'C++' started by fdm, Oct 19, 2009.

  1. fdm

    fdm Guest

    fdm, Oct 19, 2009

  2. fdm

    Andrey Vul Guest

    Re: Design principles in C++ (especially converning templates andlibrary development)?

    On Oct 19, 4:01 pm, "fdm" <> wrote:
    > I can't seem to find any books or websites dealing with design principles
    > for developing c++ template libraries. Most of the litterature are based on
    > the java language, like clean code:http://www.amazon.com/Clean-Code-Handbook-Software-Craftsmanship/dp/0...
    >
    > Are there something like clean code for c++?

    What about looking at the boost headers?

    Their code, for a template library, is highly legible and you could
    use that as examples.

    YMMV

    Andrey Vul, Oct 19, 2009

  3. fdm

    http://www.amazon.com/Coding-Standa...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1255988471&sr=8-1
    ?

    Andrey Vul, Oct 19, 2009
  4. fdm

    Richard Guest

    Re: Design principles in C++ (especially converning templates andlibrary development)?

    Andrey Vul <> spake the secret code
    <> thusly:

    >On Oct 19, 4:01 pm, "fdm" <> wrote:
    >> I can't seem to find any books or websites dealing with design principles
    >> for developing c++ template libraries. Most of the litterature are based on
    >> the java language, like clean

    >code:http://www.amazon.com/Clean-Code-Handbook-Software-Craftsmanship/dp/0...
    >>
    >> Are there something like clean code for c++?

    >What about
    >http://www.amazon.com/Coding-Standa...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1255988471&sr=8-1
    >?

    This is certainly a good start, although not specifically aimed at
    template libraries.

    I think the standard OOP design principles apply to template libraries
    just as much as they apply to interfaces and classes.

    In addition to the book "C++ Coding Standards", you could glean more
    insight on template library design from "Modern C++ Design" by one of
    the same authors (Alexandrescu).

    Effective C++ also has some specific guidelines for templates. See my
    review I wrote of that here:
    <http://legalizeadulthood.wordpress.com/2009/09/09/effective-c-3rd-edition-by-scott-meyers/>

    Richard, Oct 20, 2009