Design problem...need some ideas

Discussion in 'Python' started by Mudcat, May 26, 2005.

  1. Mudcat

    Mudcat Guest

    Howdy,

    I'm trying to create a selection helper, just like in Google or other
    places where a drop-down menu appears below the text selection box when
    you enter some text. As you type, the choices are narrowed based on the
    characters entered.

    I have everything worked out but the actual menu which is giving me
    problems. My first attempt was using a Pmw.ScrolledListBox and taking
    advantage of the inherent drop-down menu. I was attempting to invoke
    the menu and change the list as characters were typed.

    However, I found I was getting focus problems. When the menu is
    invoked, focus in the entry box is lost which makes it impossible for
    the user to continue typing his selection. When focus is returned to
    the entry box, the drop-down menu disappears. Is there a way to make
    this work?

    Or, is there a better way? My Plan B was to create a new toplevel
    window and place it using screen geometry to appear right below the
    entry box. The window was going to contain just a listbox that
    contained the selections. But I fear this may pose many more problems,
    focus just being one of them.

    Thanks ahead of time for the help,
    Marc

    Mudcat, May 26, 2005

  2. Mudcat

    Mudcat Guest

    bump

    Anyone? I don't need code. Just widgets and a compass for the right
    direction.

    Mudcat, May 26, 2005