Design Questions (Widths, Rowspan)

3 specific questions referring primarily to fixed-width columns within
fixed-width tables:

1. For calculating fixed column widths, I found some math online:

cellpadding * columns * 2 + cellspacing * (columns + 1) + borders *
(columns + 1) =
full table width

I would appreciate any feedback as to whether this is correct/reliable.

2. I have heard that leaving one column with width undefined is good
web design practice. Would someone confirm/refute this claim?

3. What is the best way to specify "rowspan" when you have a column
which continually changes height with updates, and the adjacent column
has a fixed number of rows? I initially thought that "rowspan=0" would
be correct but it appears this isn't universally supported.

Thanks in advance.

John

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind said:
3 specific questions referring primarily to fixed-width columns within
fixed-width tables:

1. For calculating fixed column widths, I found some math online:

cellpadding * columns * 2 + cellspacing * (columns + 1) + borders *
(columns + 1) =
full table width

I would appreciate any feedback as to whether this is correct/reliable.

Considering the vagaries of and inconsistencies between various browsers, I
doubt the formula would yield perfect results for all.
2. I have heard that leaving one column with width undefined is good
web design practice. Would someone confirm/refute this claim?

Dunno for sure, but probably not because tables are for tabular data which
most often fully defined.
3. What is the best way to specify "rowspan" when you have a column
which continually changes height with updates, and the adjacent column
has a fixed number of rows? I initially thought that "rowspan=0" would
be correct but it appears this isn't universally supported.

Probably the normal way. You just have to live with the changing height or
design a better page without tables.