Design Questions (Widths, Rowspan)

Discussion in 'HTML' started by J, Apr 5, 2006.

  1. J

    J Guest

    3 specific questions referring primarily to fixed-width columns within
    fixed-width tables:

    1. For calculating fixed column widths, I found some math online:

    cellpadding * columns * 2 + cellspacing * (columns + 1) + borders *
    (columns + 1) =
    full table width

    I would appreciate any feedback as to whether this is correct/reliable.

    2. I have heard that leaving one column with width undefined is good
    web design practice. Would someone confirm/refute this claim?

    3. What is the best way to specify "rowspan" when you have a column
    which continually changes height with updates, and the adjacent column
    has a fixed number of rows? I initially thought that "rowspan=0" would
    be correct but it appears this isn't universally supported.

    Thanks in advance.

    John
    J, Apr 5, 2006

  2. J

    Neredbojias Guest

    To further the education of mankind, "J" <> declaimed:

    > 3 specific questions referring primarily to fixed-width columns within
    > fixed-width tables:
    >
    > 1. For calculating fixed column widths, I found some math online:
    >
    > cellpadding * columns * 2 + cellspacing * (columns + 1) + borders *
    > (columns + 1) =
    > full table width
    >
    > I would appreciate any feedback as to whether this is correct/reliable.

    Considering the vagaries of and inconsistencies between various browsers, I
    doubt the formula would yield perfect results for all.

    > 2. I have heard that leaving one column with width undefined is good
    > web design practice. Would someone confirm/refute this claim?

    Dunno for sure, but probably not because tables are for tabular data which
    most often fully defined.

    > 3. What is the best way to specify "rowspan" when you have a column
    > which continually changes height with updates, and the adjacent column
    > has a fixed number of rows? I initially thought that "rowspan=0" would
    > be correct but it appears this isn't universally supported.

    Probably the normal way. You just have to live with the changing height or
    design a better page without tables.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Infinity can have limits.