Design : Servlet vs JSP

nbandi

Hi,

I have a requirement to implement one feature.
A right click menu action on an applet invokes
a servlet and a HTML page is returned in response.
That page had a table in it with a button. That button
should invoke/replace the page with a combbox.
Combobox, selection of an item should bring HTML Table
below that combobox or replace same page. Clicking
'ok' button, related to just displayed table, should bring
another HTML table below the previous table or replace
same page. Each row should have a check box in the last
displayed table and that selection with another button
should finish the action. Finally show the first page
where you started.

In brief: 1. HTML combobox
2. HTML table
3. HTML table

My question is whether a Servet/HTML combination or JSP
design better? Total project was developed with
Applet/Servlet/HTML/JavaScript technologies. So far, HTML is limited
mostly to view purpose from Applet menu actions.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
nbandi

John C. Bollinger

nbandi wrote:

[...]
My question is whether a Servet/HTML combination or JSP
design better? Total project was developed with
Applet/Servlet/HTML/JavaScript technologies. So far, HTML is limited
mostly to view purpose from Applet menu actions.

JSP is just a way to write a servlet that is more friendly to "web
developers" (which generally means people who know HTML and maybe some
Javascript, but not Java or other general-purpose languages). JSP can
also be friendly to skilled programmers, of course. If there is a lot
of HTML / Javascript to produce and little server-side logic then JSP is
probably the better vehicle. If it is mostly logic then a pure servlet
is usually cleaner. Sometimes it makes sense to use both together, or
to encapsulate logic in JavaBeans or custom tags.

John Bollinger
(e-mail address removed)