Design Time Error: Error Rendering Control

PeterW

I am attempting to use a WebControl VspFromRequest supplied by ProtX in a
recently released development kit developed for .NET 1.1. I am trying to use
this in .NET 2.0.

The control appears in the Web Parts tab but on being dragged to the design
surface shows the Error "Error Rendering Control" followed by "Object
reference not set to an instance of an object".

I conclude that perhaps the HtmlTextWriter being used by any of the Render
methods is not being instantiated and passed to the methods or something
similar.

Can anyone shine any light on this or offer suggestions please?

cheers

CaffieneRush

Not answering your question directly but I'd check whether your vendor
has a 2.0 (VS 2005) version of the same control. In our case the two
3rd party control we used were upgraded without cost.

Cheers.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi PeterW,

I think the problem is likely due to the incompatibility of the design-time
interfaces between ASP.NET 1.X/VS 2003 and ASP.NET 2.0/vs 2005. For
ASP.NET webcontrol, it contains both runtime and design-time interfaces.
Generally, the runtime interfaces hasn't changed much from 1.1 to 2.0,
however, since design-time interfaces and feature depend on the VS IDE, so
it has varied much from vs 2003 to vs 2005. So the design-time error you
encountered on that 3rd party control is likely caused by some vs 2003
specific design-time code that broke in vs 2005 environment. I also suggest
you contact the webcontrol's vendor company to see whether they'll provide
a VS 2005 specific one.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Community Support