design timelines

Trans

hi--

i'm doing a work on a large system and while i have no problems
getting intot he bit and pieces of code, i'm finding it much more
difficult to put together the "larger picture". i was hoping that it
would sort of form organizically as I worked on variouis nuts and
bolts, but even if plausible, i releaize that it's goinn to take too
much time. so i'm thinking that i am going to have to just sit down
for a spell and follow the systems execution thru, line by line.

in doing so , it's seems a waste to be the only one who benefits from
my drudger --it should be a good opportunity to do some documentation.
but i wonder if i could go a step further, is there any precedence for
creating "timeline" specifications?

t.

Robert Dober

hi--

i'm doing a work on a large system and while i have no problems
getting intot he bit and pieces of code, i'm finding it much more
difficult to put together the "larger picture". i was hoping that it
would sort of form organizically as I worked on variouis nuts and
bolts, but even if plausible, i releaize that it's goinn to take too
much time. so i'm thinking that i am going to have to just sit down
for a spell and follow the systems execution thru, line by line.

in doing so , it's seems a waste to be the only one who benefits from
my drudger --it should be a good opportunity to do some documentation.
but i wonder if i could go a step further, is there any precedence for
creating "timeline" specifications?
Not sure I am with you, but if I guess correctly each method call
would be a fine grained timeline.
Maybe it would be nice to have a timeline for each method call that is
defined in a different "container" (stealing from you ;).

e.g.

class A
def a; b; end # not a timeline as b is defined in A
def b; @x.c end # a timeline as c is not defined in B
end

class B
def c:
def e
end

one could construct a "contianer" stack during runtime and trigger a
timeline event whenever a stack event occurs
one could than tigger a timeline event depending on lots of info from
the stack, e.g. not to trigger if the container of the top of the
stack does not change.

just 0.02=80

Robert

--=20