Designer/developer coordination problem

G

I've read the posts on how a developer in asp.net and a designer in some other tool like dreamweaver can co-exist. I thought DotNet was supposed to facilitate this split but what I'm reading sounds really clunky to unworkable.

Here's my situation. I'm (re)building a site in asp.net from classic asp. The site registers racers for 5k, 10k, etc. I've used the cool features of asp.net like code behind pages and user controls embedded several layers deep and a place holder for the top level control. At runtime, the app gets a database parameter that specifies how many people can register as a group and builds the page with that many slots. Now I've got the functionality created, I need to hand it off to a designer to make it pretty. The problem is that there is not much on the .aspx page for the designer to work with. Almost everything is in .vb and .ascx files.

What I read in other posts was for the designer to build it then the developer to add the logic and plumbing Or to run both tools yourself and try to keep visual studio from rewriting the html. (I did a search on "dreamweaver asp.net" in the asp.net thread)

I would appreciate any ideas or help.
Thank you
bret

H

Hermit Dave

the way i work is that i get the designer to generate the look a feel
(Photoshop images for all the pages)
Once its all finalised.. i get the designer to chop the appropriate images
and i put them in my pages... all the common functionality like menus and
header / footers go into its corresponding controls.
and you pages are just a mix of unique functionality and common from the
controls (with the all the images and the look and feel etc)

Ask a Question