    essential!)

    thanks for any pointers or resources...

    Axel
    Axel Foley, Jun 28, 2004

  2. Axel Foley

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Axel Foley"
    <> writing in news:byLDc.20687$E84.14821@edtnps89:

    > Does anyone know of any resources or tutorials on the internet to help
    > people design HTML newsletters?
    >
    > I've overcome some of the obstacles myself, but there are a great many
    > discrepancies between how different dedicated email apps and web-based
    > email sites display HTML email.
    >
    > (no, text-based email is not an option here! the colors and graphics
    > are essential!)
    >
    > thanks for any pointers or resources...
    >
    > Axel

    Well, with some people, you're going to be SOL if you do not have a text
    version. What about people who use Yahoo! mail, that now has an option to
    disable graphics in previewed messages? What about people who have their
    email client configured to not accept HTML messages? What about people who
    have text only email clients?

    As to your original question, you're almost always assured that an email on
    one person's machine is going to look completely different on another.
    Even using the same OS and email client, because of the width/length of
    preview panes, you're going to have differences, and there is no way to
    browser sniff/javascript detect to adjust it.

    Your best bet is to make a fluid web page, probably try to keep the text at
    about 60 or so characters per line, and very simple. Using multipart,
    include a text version for those who cannot/will not accept HTML email.
    The HTML people will get the HTML version, the plain text people will get
    the plain text version.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.arbpen.com
    Adrienne, Jun 28, 2004

  3. Axel Foley

    Lois Guest

    "Axel Foley" asked:
    : Does anyone know of any resources or tutorials on the internet to help
    : people design HTML newsletters?

    I don't know if these have exactly what you need, but here are some pages
    I've bookmarked:

    http://www.alistapart.com/articles/cssemail/
    http://www.welie.com/patterns/showPattern.php?patternID=newsletter
    http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20020930.html
    http://www.wowwebdesigns.com/power_guides/zurbviews/send_a_newsletter.php

    And a page with an option for those who don't want to or can't receive HTML
    newsletters:
    http://www.changedetect.com/

    : (no, text-based email is not an option here! the colors and graphics are
    : essential!)

    Graphics could be a problem. If the recipients are online when they're
    reading the newsletter, fine, but if they read the newsletter offline and
    the graphics have links to the images at your site, the newsletter won't be
    pretty any more. :-(

    Lois
    Lois, Jun 28, 2004
  4. Axel Foley

    Andy Dingley Guest

    Adrienne <> wrote in message news:<Xns9515DD2E7F854arbpenyahoocom@207.115.63.158>...

    > Well, with some people, you're going to be SOL if you do not have a text
    > version.

    While I agree with the need for text versions, remember that this is a
    text version MIME'd inside the same email - it doesn't have to mean a
    text-only email.

    > What about people who have their
    > email client configured to not accept HTML messages?

    Of the many people who dump all HTML-only email on site, how many also
    discard HTML+Text ? IMHO, given the prevalence of Outlook amongst the
    corporate idiot market, this must be a very small number. I never get
    anything in pure HTML that's worth reading, but I do depend
    commercially on reading Text+HTML from people in suits - even though I
    only read the text version.

    Anyone have any figures, or care to guess at them, for numbers here ?

    >What about people who have text only email clients?

    These aren't a problem - setting up the message correctly involves
    supplying both formats.
    Andy Dingley, Jun 28, 2004
  5. Axel Foley

    Amos E Wolfe Guest

    "Axel Foley" <> wrote in message
    > Does anyone know of any resources or tutorials on the internet to help
    > people design HTML newsletters?
    >
    > I've overcome some of the obstacles myself, but there are a great many
    > discrepancies between how different dedicated email apps and web-based

    email
    > sites display HTML email.
    >
    > (no, text-based email is not an option here! the colors and graphics are
    > essential!)

    Complete control over how an e-mail is displayed is down to one person - the
    person who READS it - not the person who WRITES it!

    It's best to write a brief e-mail to ALL your subscribers, in PLAIN TEXT,
    giving the URL of the full HTML version with graphics etc. That way, the
    only people who read it will be those that are genuinely interested (
    interested enough to click a link and wait for the graphics to load).

    If the people you are sending it to are actually OPTING-IN to receive your
    email, and are willing to click on a link and wait to read it then that is
    great - they are interested in what you have to say.

    ANYTHING ELSE IS --- SPAM --- don't bother!

    -# Amos E Wolfe #=-
    Amos E Wolfe, Jun 29, 2004
  6. Axel Foley

    Lois Guest

    :
    : It's best to write a brief e-mail to ALL your subscribers, in PLAIN TEXT,
    : giving the URL of the full HTML version with graphics etc. That way, the
    : only people who read it will be those that are genuinely interested (
    : interested enough to click a link and wait for the graphics to load).
    :
    : If the people you are sending it to are actually OPTING-IN to receive your
    : email, and are willing to click on a link and wait to read it then that is
    : great - they are interested in what you have to say.
    :
    : ANYTHING ELSE IS --- SPAM --- don't bother!

    You can have your opinion, and I can disagree. I do agree that newsletters
    should be opt-in only, and I think that subscribers should be either given
    the choice of HTML or plain text, or the newsletters should be sent in plain
    text only. However, sending HTML newsletters to subscribers who have opted
    to receive HTML newsletters is *not* spam.

    I'm subscribed to a number of newsletters. Personally, I prefer HTML because
    it's easier to read and more visually appealing, although I do have the
    images turned off. I like newsletters where the titles and first few lines
    articles appear, and then I click to read the rest of the articles that look
    interesting to me. If people had to click to even see the newsletter, it
    would lose the valuable impact of being delivered right to subscribers'
    in-boxes, and it would be less convenient for recipients.

    Lois
    Lois, Jun 30, 2004
  7. Quoth the raven Lois:
    > I'm subscribed to a number of newsletters. Personally, I prefer
    > HTML because it's easier to read and more visually appealing,
    > although I do have the images turned off.

    Heh, begs the question: why not set your mail reader to the font,
    size, and color you prefer, and read in plain text? :)

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jun 30, 2004
  8. Axel Foley

    Lois Guest

    : Quoth the raven Lois:
    : > I'm subscribed to a number of newsletters. Personally, I prefer
    : > HTML because it's easier to read and more visually appealing,
    : > although I do have the images turned off.

    "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" responded:
    : Heh, begs the question: why not set your mail reader to the font,
    : size, and color you prefer, and read in plain text? :)

    Because HTML newsletters have columns, colour, style, and branding. That's
    what makes them visually appealing and easier to read, not the images.

    Why not make web pages just one plain wide column of text with nothing else?
    The answer to that is the reason I prefer HTML newsletters. It is a
    preference, though, and those who prefer plain text should be able to have
    their preference too.

    Lois
    Lois, Jun 30, 2004
  9. Axel Foley

    Axel Foley Guest

    Right on Lois!

    Hey, what is this the "Bavarian Purity Laws of Newsletters"....? :)

    yeah, and who needs TV and Movies anyway, when an H G Wells Radio Talk show
    can do the trick?

    and, who needs comic books when you can simply listen to Uncle Harry telling
    dirty jokes?

    Who needs double-embossed 'fluffy' toilet paper when a handful of maple
    leaves will suffice?

    I say, bring on the full-color, animated, stereo sound newsletters! Let the
    old hermits die in the woods!!

    Axel
    Axel Foley, Jul 2, 2004