Desing Question

Amir Ghezelbash

Hey Guys,

I have a question; it’s a design question,

I am developing an application, where in this application users upload a
database of emails in a CSV file format...now what I have done. When
they are uploading the CSV file, I read the CSV file and return a Data
Table representation of it. Then people should be able to make changes
to this Data Table before it gets saved on our actual hard drive as a
CSV file. So I created a Data Grid where I send this Data Table as data
source...but in order to do the updates, deleting and editing elements
from data grid I needed to somehow save that data table until they click
on "Accept Database", I have done that by saving it into a session. Once
"Accept Database" has been clicked. That data table gets saved into a
CSV file and it will get erased from sessions manually to ensure that it
is gone from memory

Now what worries me?

is that if I have allot of people logging in at the same time and be
doing this at the same time and each person uploading a CSV file which
usually contains minimum of 5,000 items in it, then I be saving multiple
data table with allot of elements into the session...what do you guys
think I should do ?

how can I get a way around it...what do I do with data table while its
in processing stage...where else can I save it (except sql database) to
ensure the good quality application?

thank you in advance

John

Amir Ghezelbash said:
[...]

Can you save the working data into a temp table?

Josh

create a working table in your database, upload the csv data to that. Only
once the user is happy with the data commit the data by transaferring it to
the final database table.

Amir Ghezelbash

Thanks you for your respond Josh
but the data is not being saved in database at all
upon their approval the datatable gets saved into a csv file

so i wanne avoid the trip to database if possible

Josh

ah ha! Perhaps you could do the same by storing the data in a ADO DataTable
and perhaps persist that as an XML file.