Desktop app. coms. via sockets - test

Andrew Thompson

I want a better (more information feedback) way of
launching JWS* based apps. from web pages.

This example tests for the problems that would be
encountered if using sockets (from the JWS app.
back to the applet) for that reporting.
<http://www.physci.org/test/kk/applet.html>

* The technique should also work for non-JWS apps.
launched from a web page, but JWS apps. have a
security sandbox - they are both a more interesting
challenge, and more relevant to my needs.

More test results would be appreciated - especially
for machines with a firewall (I tried to enable the
Firewall on my box - and got a Win. message
saying 'no can do' - I'll try again later..)

The sort of detail I'd like, is expressed in the results table
<http://www.physci.org/test/kk/applet.html#result>

All results/comments welcome.

--
Andrew Thompson
http://www.athompson.info/andrew/

Andrew Thompson

Note: this repost* is X-posted to
comp.lang.java.programmer and comp.lang.java.help
but *follow-ups* (replies) have been directed
to c.l.j.programmer only. If you reply, please
follow it on c.l.j.p.
I want a better (more information feedback) way of
launching JWS* based apps. from web pages.

This example tests for the problems that would be
encountered if using sockets(from the JWSapp.
back to the applet) for that reporting.
<http://www.physci.org/test/kk/applet.html>

* The technique should also work for non-JWS apps.
launched from a web page, but JWS apps. have a
security sandbox - they are both a more interesting
challenge, and more relevant to my needs.

More test results would be appreciated - especially
for machines with a firewall (I tried to enable the
Firewall on my box - and got a Win. message
saying 'no can do' - I'll try again later..)

The sort of detail I'd like, is expressed in the results table
<http://www.physci.org/test/kk/applet.html#result>

All results/comments welcome.

* ..and yes, I feel entirely justified in
reposting the original message completely
untrimmed. I have waited around 2 weeks to
get any replies, and the original may have
dropped off some people's news clients.

I am willing to supply the code for this.
It is not secret, I just thought that being
sandboxed and based closely on Sun's KnockKnock
server/client example, it was not especially
interesting.

So how about it? Detailed, fragmentary, or
...*any* other test results would be appreciated.

Andrew Thompson

Tom Hawtin

I am willing to supply the code for this.
It is not secret, I just thought that being
sandboxed and based closely on Sun's KnockKnock
server/client example, it was not especially
interesting.

So how about it? Detailed, fragmentary, or
..*any* other test results would be appreciated.

On my laptop running ye olde 32-bit software (Windows Vista Home
Premium, Opera and JDK1.6), it does the same as FireFox up as far as the
security dialog. Obviously I deny the random security request from an
unknown party.

A token in the URL would work better, but wouldn't give a constant URL
for the application. I don't think cookies get shared between applets
and WebStart applications unfortunately.

But show us your source anyway.

Tom Hawtin

Andrew Thompson

On my laptop running ye olde 32-bit software (Windows Vista Home
Premium, Opera and JDK1.6), it does the same as FireFox up as far as the
security dialog.

Do you have a firewall enabled on that machine?
A token in the URL would work better, but wouldn't give a constant URL
for the application. I don't think cookies get shared between applets
andWebStartapplications unfortunately.

I considered using URL parameters in various forms.
The problem is that I cannot guarantee that the original
page with the applet, and any page opened by the
BasicService.showDocument() (in which I would put the
URL parameters to indicate 'success'), would open in
the same browser, let alone the same VM (and thereby
be in the 'same AppletContext as'/'be easily accessible
to' the first applet).

So it then comes back to how two untrusted applets,
potentially in different VM's, might interact.
AFAIU, there is no way.
But show us your source anyway.

Umm.. OK, sure..
<http://www.physci.org/test/kk/source.zip>
(About 8Kb, made with the Jar tool. Includes
the java source, JNLP launch files and the
applet page)

But note.. I am *not* asking for a code critique
on this *code*. It is horrid - hacked together,
rather than designed. It is the security environment
that controls it, that interests me.

Andrew (the 'unknown party';) T.