Desktop gets blurry when Java starts...

Mr B.

I know, maybe not the best place to ask, but Im at the end of my wits.. so
I'll try

When Java fires up ( only Sun, not MS ) desktop goes all blurry.
Launching Eclipse, NetBeans etc etc ( even just visiting a java supported
site in IE6 ) starts the blurriness..

Uninstalling Java 1.4.2 and reverting back to whatever version comes with
IE6 fixes the problem, but obviously I then can't use Eclipse and NetBeans

I think the problem started when I got my 6800GT, but I am not sure, and
ofcause, no matter what driver the problem persists.
Apart from that WinXP Pro + SP2

Anybody seen this ?

Chris Smith

Mr B. said:
When Java fires up ( only Sun, not MS ) desktop goes all blurry.
Launching Eclipse, NetBeans etc etc ( even just visiting a java supported
site in IE6 ) starts the blurriness..

Uninstalling Java 1.4.2 and reverting back to whatever version comes with
IE6 fixes the problem, but obviously I then can't use Eclipse and NetBeans

That's definitely odd. My guess is that it's a problem with the video
card. There are definitely known problems with the interaction of some
1.4 versions of Java and some (especially ATI) video cards. There are
also options to prevent Java 1.4 and later from using graphics
acceleration, and they might help.

Try http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/2d/flags.html, but pay
attention to the minimum supported versions for the flags (some are 1.5
specific).

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation

Tris Orendorff

I know, maybe not the best place to ask, but Im at the end of my
wits.. so I'll try

When Java fires up ( only Sun, not MS ) desktop goes all blurry.
Launching Eclipse, NetBeans etc etc ( even just visiting a java
supported site in IE6 ) starts the blurriness..

Uninstalling Java 1.4.2 and reverting back to whatever version comes
with IE6 fixes the problem, but obviously I then can't use Eclipse and
NetBeans

I think the problem started when I got my 6800GT, but I am not sure,
and ofcause, no matter what driver the problem persists.
Apart from that WinXP Pro + SP2

Anybody seen this ?

No! However, it sounds like a power-supply problem. It's possible when the VM starts up that the
combination of hard drives, CPU and memory being used takes too much power and the video card goes
blurry. Does the blurriness stay until you leave Java or does it go away after the VM loads?

--
Sincerely,

Tris Orendorff

Mark Thornton

Mr said:
I know, maybe not the best place to ask, but Im at the end of my wits.. so
I'll try

When Java fires up ( only Sun, not MS ) desktop goes all blurry.
Launching Eclipse, NetBeans etc etc ( even just visiting a java supported
site in IE6 ) starts the blurriness..

Uninstalling Java 1.4.2 and reverting back to whatever version comes with
IE6 fixes the problem, but obviously I then can't use Eclipse and NetBeans

I think the problem started when I got my 6800GT, but I am not sure, and
ofcause, no matter what driver the problem persists.
Apart from that WinXP Pro + SP2

Anybody seen this ?

Java uses Direct3D and you have set your video card to force the use
antialiassing expecting it to only apply to games ...

Check the antialiasing options on your video card or try forcing Java to
not use Direct3d (I can't remember the necessary option off hand).

Mark Thornton