    ofcause, no matter what driver the problem persists.
    Apart from that WinXP Pro + SP2

    Anybody seen this ?

    Mr B., Dec 9, 2004

  2. Mr B.

    Chris Smith Guest

    Mr B. <ask@me> wrote:
    > When Java fires up ( only Sun, not MS ) desktop goes all blurry.
    > Launching Eclipse, NetBeans etc etc ( even just visiting a java supported
    > site in IE6 ) starts the blurriness..
    >
    > Uninstalling Java 1.4.2 and reverting back to whatever version comes with
    > IE6 fixes the problem, but obviously I then can't use Eclipse and NetBeans

    That's definitely odd. My guess is that it's a problem with the video
    card. There are definitely known problems with the interaction of some
    1.4 versions of Java and some (especially ATI) video cards. There are
    also options to prevent Java 1.4 and later from using graphics
    acceleration, and they might help.

    Try http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/2d/flags.html, but pay
    attention to the minimum supported versions for the flags (some are 1.5
    specific).

    --
    www.designacourse.com

    MindIQ Corporation

    Chris Smith, Dec 9, 2004

  3. "Mr B." <ask@me> wrote in

    > I know, maybe not the best place to ask, but Im at the end of my
    > wits.. so I'll try
    >
    > When Java fires up ( only Sun, not MS ) desktop goes all blurry.
    > Launching Eclipse, NetBeans etc etc ( even just visiting a java
    > supported site in IE6 ) starts the blurriness..
    >
    > Uninstalling Java 1.4.2 and reverting back to whatever version comes
    > with IE6 fixes the problem, but obviously I then can't use Eclipse and
    > NetBeans
    >
    > I think the problem started when I got my 6800GT, but I am not sure,
    > and ofcause, no matter what driver the problem persists.
    > Apart from that WinXP Pro + SP2
    >
    > Anybody seen this ?

    No! However, it sounds like a power-supply problem. It's possible when the VM starts up that the
    combination of hard drives, CPU and memory being used takes too much power and the video card goes
    blurry. Does the blurriness stay until you leave Java or does it go away after the VM loads?

    --
    Sincerely,

    Tris Orendorff

    Tris Orendorff, Dec 10, 2004
  4. Mr B. wrote:
    > I know, maybe not the best place to ask, but Im at the end of my wits.. so
    > I'll try
    >
    > When Java fires up ( only Sun, not MS ) desktop goes all blurry.
    > Launching Eclipse, NetBeans etc etc ( even just visiting a java supported
    > site in IE6 ) starts the blurriness..
    >
    > Uninstalling Java 1.4.2 and reverting back to whatever version comes with
    > IE6 fixes the problem, but obviously I then can't use Eclipse and NetBeans
    >
    > I think the problem started when I got my 6800GT, but I am not sure, and
    > ofcause, no matter what driver the problem persists.
    > Apart from that WinXP Pro + SP2
    >
    > Anybody seen this ?

    Java uses Direct3D and you have set your video card to force the use
    antialiassing expecting it to only apply to games ...

    Check the antialiasing options on your video card or try forcing Java to
    not use Direct3d (I can't remember the necessary option off hand).

    Mark Thornton

    Mark Thornton, Dec 10, 2004
  5. Mr B.

    Mr B. Guest

    "Mark Thornton" wrote...

    > Java uses Direct3D and you have set your video card to force the use
    > antialiassing expecting it to only apply to games ...

    Dear me...... :)

    Thanks

    Mr B., Dec 11, 2004