Desktop icon with Java Web Start

Rene Grothmann

I am trying to find any reliable information, wether or not Java Web
Start icons can create desktop icons on other systems than Windows.
Specifically, I'd been interested in Linux and Mac OSX. I have a JNLP
file, which creates the icons on Windows, but not on Linux (at least
not Knoppix 5.1.1). In fact, the javaws program immediately removes
the shortcut tag from the JNLP file. But I could not find any
documents on this behavior.

Maybe someone knows, where this is documented, or how I could enforce
an icon on Linux?

Andrew Thompson

I am trying to find any reliable information, wether or not Java Web
Start icons can create desktop icons on other systems than Windows.
Specifically, I'd been interested in Linux and Mac OSX.

I recall a thread on the Sun JNLP forum where it was
mentioned that no shortcuts were (expected to be) created
on some *nix systems, but cannot recall the details.

OTOH - the chances are best if you stick to the limited
types/colors mentioned in the JNLP Spec. and other docs.

Andrew T.