DESPARATE - ASP.NET 2.0 can't connect to my sql server databases

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Erik Funkenbusch, Mar 26, 2006.

  1. On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 22:54:51 -0800, K B wrote:

    > But even without the connection string, when I simply try to use Tools -
    > Connect to Database, and click on the Server Names dropdown list, it
    > only shows the SQLEXPRESS instance...no my SQL server 2000s.

    Have you simply tried typing in the name of the server (and instance if
    applicable)?
    Erik Funkenbusch, Mar 26, 2006

  2. Erik Funkenbusch

    K B Guest

    Hi,
    I've just started using Visual Studio 2005 but I do NOT want to use
    SqlExpress but my existing sql server database. I've searched and did
    the following: ran the aspnet_regsql.exe to update my database for 2.0,
    that appeared to add tables, etc. I've changed the connection string to
    point to my db using the LocalSqlServer connection string in webconfig.

    But even without the connection string, when I simply try to use Tools -
    Connect to Database, and click on the Server Names dropdown list, it
    only shows the SQLEXPRESS instance...no my SQL server 2000s.

    Have lost 6 hours to this...any help greatly appreciated.

    -Kit

    K B, Mar 26, 2006

  3. Just checking whether you've tried the steps here?

    Configuring ASP.NET 2.0 Application Services to Use SQL Server 2000 or SQL
    Server 2005

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnaspp/html/ConfigASPNET_SQL.asp

    Ken Cox - Microsoft MVP, Mar 26, 2006