Desperate help needed

Discussion in 'HTML' started by smk17, Jan 20, 2009.

  1. smk17

    smk17 Guest

    I know I'm about to be slammed. I get slammed every time I post
    something on here.

    But I just do not know how to use DIV's, or maybe this particular
    problem doesn't require DIV's.

    I'm building a website that, right now, has MANY buttons on it. I made
    these buttons in Photoshop.

    The buttons have an icon to the left and then text to the right of
    that icon.

    I'd rather just make that graphic smaller, just crop out the icon and
    use html text as the text.

    But I can't for the life of me figure out how to replicate in html,
    what I was able to do in photoshop. I'm not worried about using the
    same fonts, I just want the text positioned the same.

    Here is the page: http://aem.cornell.edu/portal/

    You'll see six buttons in the middle of the page, these I want to
    switch to html text. I was able to make the smaller buttons, in the
    outer two columns this way, by just using the small image icon and the
    text is html.

    Granted these buttons are only 4k, which doesn't make for terrible
    download times, but I just want to get away from using text in
    graphics when I should be using html text.

    The buttons below those six buttons have two text styles, BOLD BLUE,
    and then underneath, just plain text.

    And beware, this site is made with tables. Thanks

    smk17, Jan 20, 2009

  2. smk17

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 20 Jan 2009, smk17 <> wrote:

    > I know I'm about to be slammed. I get slammed every time I post
    > something on here.
    >
    > But I just do not know how to use DIV's, or maybe this particular
    > problem doesn't require DIV's.
    >
    > I'm building a website that, right now, has MANY buttons on it. I
    > made these buttons in Photoshop.
    >
    > The buttons have an icon to the left and then text to the right of
    > that icon.
    >
    > I'd rather just make that graphic smaller, just crop out the icon and
    > use html text as the text.
    >
    > But I can't for the life of me figure out how to replicate in html,
    > what I was able to do in photoshop. I'm not worried about using the
    > same fonts, I just want the text positioned the same.
    >
    > Here is the page: http://aem.cornell.edu/portal/
    >
    > You'll see six buttons in the middle of the page, these I want to
    > switch to html text. I was able to make the smaller buttons, in the
    > outer two columns this way, by just using the small image icon and
    > the text is html.
    >
    > Granted these buttons are only 4k, which doesn't make for terrible
    > download times, but I just want to get away from using text in
    > graphics when I should be using html text.
    >
    > The buttons below those six buttons have two text styles, BOLD BLUE,
    > and then underneath, just plain text.
    >
    > And beware, this site is made with tables. Thanks

    Well, you can use the <input> or <button> element in a form, -the text
    of said buttons being the "value" attribute. However, I know styling
    both the button and the text as you want can be a real challenge. This
    is basically because the forefathers and -mothers of html were nerds
    who thought they knew what you wanted better than you know what you
    want, but, anyway, it is rationalizationable, so live with it.

    --
    Neredbojias
    http://www.neredbojias.org/

    Neredbojias, Jan 20, 2009

  3. smk17

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    smk17 <> wrote:

    > I know I'm about to be slammed. I get slammed every time I post
    > something on here.
    >
    > But I just do not know how to use DIV's, or maybe this particular
    > problem doesn't require DIV's.
    >
    > I'm building a website that, right now, has MANY buttons on it. I made
    > these buttons in Photoshop.
    >
    > The buttons have an icon to the left and then text to the right of
    > that icon.
    >
    > I'd rather just make that graphic smaller, just crop out the icon and
    > use html text as the text.
    >
    > But I can't for the life of me figure out how to replicate in html,
    > what I was able to do in photoshop. I'm not worried about using the
    > same fonts, I just want the text positioned the same.
    >
    > Here is the page: http://aem.cornell.edu/portal/
    >
    > You'll see six buttons in the middle of the page, these I want to
    > switch to html text. I was able to make the smaller buttons, in the
    > outer two columns this way, by just using the small image icon and the
    > text is html.
    >
    > Granted these buttons are only 4k, which doesn't make for terrible
    > download times, but I just want to get away from using text in
    > graphics when I should be using html text.
    >
    > The buttons below those six buttons have two text styles, BOLD BLUE,
    > and then underneath, just plain text.
    >
    > And beware, this site is made with tables. Thanks

    If you use tables, something like this:

    <http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/alt/picLinkPair/picLinkPair.html>

    You can have lots of little tables like this for each logo/link pair and
    float the tables so they fill up the space efficiently. You can also
    manage without more than one big table, just put the pairs in rows. If
    you want more than one pair per row, you can do so.

    If you don't want tables, also possible but more fiddly. If no one else
    tells you, I will come back like Douglas MacArthur.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jan 20, 2009
  4. smk17

    smk17 Guest

    On Jan 20, 4:06 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    >

    >  smk17 <> wrote:
    > > I know I'm about to be slammed. I get slammed every time I post
    > > something on here.

    > > But I just do not know how to use DIV's, or maybe this particular
    > > problem doesn't require DIV's.

    > > I'm building a website that, right now, has MANY buttons on it. I made
    > > these buttons in Photoshop.

    > > The buttons have an icon to the left and then text to the right of
    > > that icon.

    > > I'd rather just make that graphic smaller, just crop out the icon and
    > > use html text as the text.

    > > But I can't for the life of me figure out how to replicate in html,
    > > what I was able to do in photoshop. I'm not worried about using the
    > > same fonts, I just want the text positioned the same.

    > > Here is the page:http://aem.cornell.edu/portal/

    > > You'll see six buttons in the middle of the page, these I want to
    > > switch to html text. I was able to make the smaller buttons, in the
    > > outer two columns this way, by just using the small image icon and the
    > > text is html.

    > > Granted these buttons are only 4k, which doesn't make for terrible
    > > download times, but I just want to get away from using text in
    > > graphics when I should be using html text.

    > > The buttons below those six buttons have two text styles, BOLD BLUE,
    > > and then underneath, just plain text.

    > > And beware, this site is made with tables. Thanks

    > If you use tables, something like this:

    Thanks, I didn't really want to add all that individual table code,
    but your sample is very good.

    smk17, Jan 21, 2009