desperate need for help with browser settings

billj2

Hello,
I have a web app that needs the follwing settings

Tools/internet options/settings/

Check for newer versions of stored pages.

I can not rely on the users to do this.

Is there any way to did this programatically?

thanks
BJ

Jim Ley

I have a web app that needs the follwing settings

Tools/internet options/settings/

Then redesign it, you can't rely on such functionality, it should be
trivial to simply change URIs all the time.

Jim.

Matt Kruse

billj2 said:
I have a web app that needs the follwing settings
Tools/internet options/settings/
Check for newer versions of stored pages.
I can not rely on the users to do this.
Is there any way to did this programatically?

You cannot force browser to cache how you want them to, but you can strongly
urge them to.

Make your application return appropriate http headers which set the content
to expire immediately, and/or use meta tags which tell the browser not to
cache the document.

That will be effective for almost all typical users.

Grant Wagner

billj2 said:
Jim,
Two words for you, and they are not good morning.

Particularly rude, when the solution was suggested. Apparently
you need things spelled out for you:

<script type="text/javascript">
document.write('<a href="somepage.html?ts=' +
(new Date()).getTime() +
'">This link will always load a fresh copy of somepage.html
unless the user clicks Back</a>'
);
</script>

<?php
echo '<a href="somepage.html?ts=' . time() . '">Link text</a>';
?>

You may also be interested in reading: <url:
http://www.mnot.net/cache_docs/#CONTROL />

But I'd bet you're more interested in insulting those attempting
to help you then in actually learning anything.

--
| Grant Wagner <[email protected]>

* Client-side Javascript and Netscape 4 DOM Reference available
at:
*

*

Dr John Stockton

JRS: In article <[email protected]>, seen in
news:comp.lang.javascript said:
Jim,
Two words for you, and they are not good morning.

Since you get rewarded for asking, perhaps Jim would be happier if you
were to offer to transfer that reward to him.

He suggested changing URIs all the time; if you to read the FAQ, cited
in his signature & posted here today, searching for the word URI, you
would find the information that you need, which is not the information
that you want.

<FAQENTRY>

In that section, s/date/time/, s/of/or/ #2.

Perhaps it should be "URI used to request the page", rather than "URI of
the page".

</FAQENTRY>

// location.href+'?d='+ +new Date() // suffices