desperate need of help

Discussion in 'C++' started by John Flynn, Oct 12, 2004.

  1. John Flynn

    John Flynn Guest

    hi all

    i'm going to be quick i have an assignment due which i have no idea how to
    do. i work full time so i dont have the time to learn it and its due date
    has crept up on me ..

    As follows:
    Objectives
    The purpose of this assignment is to have you practice the design of
    object-oriented classes, including one or more of the following concepts
    a.. encapsulation
    b.. class/static variables
    c.. constructors, mutators, inspectors
    d.. operators

    Task
    Implement the classic cartesian 2D Point class. You can find the point.h
    file in Files directory. Your task is to implement this class (point.cpp)
    and to write a test program for it (pointTest.cpp). The test program must
    a.. test the constructors (default, other, copy) and the output operator
    b.. test the assignment operator
    c.. test the inspectors
    d.. test the mutators
    e.. test the input operator
    f.. test the equality operators
    g.. test the addition and multiplication operators
    h.. test the distance function
    i know that this would be a breeze for most as this is a first year subject.
    So if anyone can help me out please email me for the rest of the
    question/example..

    thanks in advance

    p.s. please only those who are willing to help me contact me as i can
    imagine the barrage of posts i'll be receiving from self important
    individuals having a go at me for not doing it myself.

    i know i wont be learning anything but i have no choice at this stage

    John Flynn, Oct 12, 2004

  2. John Flynn wrote:
    > hi all
    >
    > i'm going to be quick i have an assignment due which i have no idea how to
    > do. i work full time so i dont have the time to learn it and its due date
    > has crept up on me ..

    This is comp.lang.c++ and not comp.do.my.homework.for.me.

    If you don't have time to learn, don't pretend you're trying to
    learn. Save some money and buy a diploma online.

    > [...]
    > i know i wont be learning anything but i have no choice at this stage

    You do have a choice. Go to your instructor and talk to him/her.
    Together you will figure out a much better solution than cheating.
    The ultimate purpose for your studying is not to get a grade but
    to learn something. So, go learn something.

    Victor Bazarov, Oct 12, 2004

  3. John Flynn

    Mike Wahler Guest

    "John Flynn" <> wrote in message
    > hi all
    >
    > i'm going to be quick i have an assignment due which i have no idea how to
    > do. i work full time so i dont have the time to learn it

    When I discover I don't have time to do something (which happens
    all the time), I postpone it until I do.

    > and its due date
    > has crept up on me ..

    Perhaps you should not make agreements you can't keep.

    > As follows:
    > Objectives
    > The purpose of this assignment is to have you practice

    You. Not us. We can and will help, but will not do it for you.
    I can bang away on my piano all day long, but it will not at all
    help anyone else learn to play.

    >the design of
    > object-oriented classes, including one or more of the following concepts
    > a.. encapsulation
    > b.. class/static variables
    > c.. constructors, mutators, inspectors
    > d.. operators
    >
    > Task
    > Implement the classic cartesian 2D Point class. You can find the point.h
    > file in Files directory.

    So you already have a foundation, you need not start from scratch.
    Exploit this.

    >Your task is to implement this class (point.cpp)
    > and to write a test program for it (pointTest.cpp). The test program must
    > a.. test the constructors (default, other, copy) and the output operator
    > b.. test the assignment operator
    > c.. test the inspectors
    > d.. test the mutators
    > e.. test the input operator
    > f.. test the equality operators
    > g.. test the addition and multiplication operators
    > h.. test the distance function
    > i know that this would be a breeze for most as this is a first year

    subject.

    IMO it should be doable for anyone who actually pays attention and
    takes notes in class, asks questions, and practices. Very early in a
    reasonable quality C++ course. Whether it is a 'breeze' will of course
    vary among individuals.

    > So if anyone can help me out please email me for the rest of the
    > question/example..

    IF what you posted (your assignment) is incomplete, simply post
    the complete assignment here. But in order to receive help, you
    need to post the code of your best attempt, and ask specific
    questions.

    We will *not* hand you a completed solution, here or via email. Doing
    that would definitely *not* help you. It would actually harm
    you (and possibly those with whom you might work one day). So no
    *I* won't, anyway. Also note: you're abusing the newsgroup, since it's
    intent is for learning by anyone who might read here. Many learn
    from seeing advice to others (I know I did). Insisting upon email help
    takes that away from them.

    > thanks in advance

    > p.s. please only those who are willing to help me

    I'm very willing to help. Here.
    Doing your work for you will not help you.

    >contact me as i can
    > imagine the barrage of posts i'll be receiving from self important
    > individuals having a go at me for not doing it myself.

    I write this not from a sense of self-importance, but in an
    (yes I know, probably hopeless) attempt to truly help you.

    > i know i wont be learning anything

    So why waste your time? Spend the time on something you will
    benefit from.

    >but i have no choice at this stage

    Surely you do.

    -Mike

    Mike Wahler, Oct 12, 2004
  4. John Flynn

    Sumit Rajan Guest

    John Flynn wrote:
    > hi all
    >
    > i'm going to be quick i have an assignment due which i have no idea how to
    > do. i work full time so i dont have the time to learn it and its due date
    > has crept up on me ..
    >
    > As follows:

    The FAQ is pretty clear about such requests:
    http://www.parashift.com/c -faq-lite/how-to-post.html#faq-5.2

    Regards,
    Sumit.
    --
    Sumit Rajan <sumit DOT rajan AT gmail DOT com>

    Sumit Rajan, Oct 12, 2004
  5. John Flynn

    red floyd Guest

    John Flynn wrote:

    > [blatant do my homework request redacted]

    Sure. Just give me your instructor's email address so I can get the
    full credit for it!

    red floyd, Oct 12, 2004
  6. John Flynn

    rossum Guest

    On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 23:04:57 +1000, "John Flynn"
    <> wrote:

    >hi all
    >
    >i'm going to be quick i have an assignment due which i have no idea how to
    >do. i work full time so i dont have the time to learn it and its due date
    >has crept up on me ..

    No I won't do your assignment for you, I doubt if you could afford my
    rates.

    [snip assignment]

    >i know that this would be a breeze for most as this is a first year subject.
    >So if anyone can help me out please email me for the rest of the
    >question/example..
    >
    >thanks in advance
    >

    >p.s. please only those who are willing to help me contact me as i can
    >imagine the barrage of posts i'll be receiving from self important
    >individuals having a go at me for not doing it myself.

    Sorry, I just couldn't resist. There is some stuff that might just be
    useful mixed in with the humble pie.

    >i know i wont be learning anything but i have no choice at this stage

    But I think that you have learned something. I am sure we can salvage
    some worthwhile learning experience and transferrable skills from the
    wreckage.

    a. Awareness of deadlines: 'nuff said. Deadlines apply to all types
    of work so this is something that will be useful to you whatever job
    you do.

    b. Estimating: you are going to get some estimating experience as you
    work out how long it will reasistically take you to complete this
    assignment, bearing in mind all your other commitments.

    c. Planning: helps you to avoid missing deadlines - Proper Planning
    Prevents Pathetic Performance - PPPPP. At the very least a plan will
    give you advance warning of a potentially missed deadline so you can
    let the instructor know about your problems well in advance.

    d. Groveling to the boss: you are going to have to learn to grovel to
    the boss (useful in many work places) as you ask your instructor to
    give you an extension on this assignment. This will be easier if you
    have at least started the assignment and can show it to him/her alonng
    with your estimate and plan. It all helps to show willing.

    e. Not reinventing the wheel: the question says "Implement the classic
    cartesian 2D Point class." Think about the wider implications of that
    word "classic" and go to Google. You won't get a complete answer but
    you will get something.

    rossum (who sometimes cannot resist a sitting duck)

    --

    The ultimate truth is that there is no Ultimate Truth

    rossum, Oct 13, 2004