desperately looking for a howto on running my wxPython app on Vista

Paul Sijben

python 2.6, py2exe and Vista do not make a happy set.

Unfortunately I am in dire need to launch my app not only on WinXP but
also on Vista. I need 2.6 because of a number of support packages I am
using and some of which I am compiling myself (and python 2.5 needs a
version of visual studio that is no longer available.)

I can find all kinds of advice and discussions with google but I have
yet to find a clear explanation on what a poor developer like me is
supposed to do to get my python 2.6.2 , stackless, wxpython and all my
(self-built) pyds to work happily on Vista.

I am currently stuck on the infamous R6034 error but I understand that
after that there may be another issue with certain wxPython functions.

Can someone please point me to a howto on crafting the right Setup.py
and manifests etc. to make this work?

Paul

Gabriel Genellina

python 2.6, py2exe and Vista do not make a happy set.

Unfortunately I am in dire need to launch my app not only on WinXP but
also on Vista. I need 2.6 because of a number of support packages I am
using and some of which I am compiling myself (and python 2.5 needs a
version of visual studio that is no longer available.)

I can find all kinds of advice and discussions with google but I have
yet to find a clear explanation on what a poor developer like me is
supposed to do to get my python 2.6.2 , stackless, wxpython and all my
(self-built) pyds to work happily on Vista.

I am currently stuck on the infamous R6034 error but I understand that
after that there may be another issue with certain wxPython functions.

That should be fixed in Python 2.6.2, I think.
Are you compiling all your dependencies, including Python itself? R6034 is
likely a DLL mismatch between parts of your project.
Can someone please point me to a howto on crafting the right Setup.py
and manifests etc. to make this work?

If you're using 2.6.1, try again with 2.6.2 and post the specific error
you get.

Paul Sijben

Gabriel said:
That should be fixed in Python 2.6.2, I think.
Are you compiling all your dependencies, including Python itself? R6034
is likely a DLL mismatch between parts of your project.

I am using 2.6.2 and am compiling only my own changed modules. For all
the other support modules I have taken the most recent ones (win32,
wxpython)

Is there any way to check which is the offending pyd/dll? (normally
Vista does not give out much data on what went wrong)

Paul

Paul Sijben

Gabriel said:
That should be fixed in Python 2.6.2, I think.
Are you compiling all your dependencies, including Python itself? R6034
is likely a DLL mismatch between parts of your project.

I am using 2.6.2 and am compiling only my own changed modules. For all
the other support modules I have taken the most recent ones (win32,
wxpython)

Is there any way to check which is the offending pyd/dll? (normally
Vista does not give out much data on what went wrong)

Paul

Mike Driscoll

I am using 2.6.2 and am compiling only my own changed modules. For all
the other support modules I have taken the most recent ones (win32,
wxpython)

Is there any way to check which is the offending pyd/dll?  (normally
Vista does not give out much data on what went wrong)

Paul

You might be able to find it using the Dependency Walker utility:

http://www.dependencywalker.com/

- Mike

Paul Sijben

Mike said:
You might be able to find it using the Dependency Walker utility:

http://www.dependencywalker.com/

Mike, thanks! That spotted indeed some issues with one specific file:
SHLWAPI.DLL, now let's see what is the issue. The report from Dependency
Walker:"Warning: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a
missing export function in a delay-load dependent module." is not
telling me much at this moment. The FAQ from Dependency Walker sais this
is not a major issue, but apparently on Vista it is ?!?

Does anyone have a clue what I am to do about this?

Interestingly On WinXP it flags DWMAPI.DLL as missing. I did not spot
that on the Vista box.

Paul

Mike Driscoll

Mike, thanks! That spotted indeed some issues with one specific file:
SHLWAPI.DLL, now let's see what is the issue. The report from Dependency
 Walker:"Warning: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a
missing export function in a delay-load dependent module." is not
telling me much at this moment. The FAQ from Dependency Walker sais this
  is not a major issue, but apparently on Vista it is ?!?

Does anyone have a clue what I am to do about this?

Interestingly On WinXP it flags DWMAPI.DLL as missing. I did not spot
that on the Vista box.

Paul

Hmmm...I'm not familiar with that DLL, but a little googling seems to
indicate that you may be able to get it off your installation CD:

http://www.techimo.com/forum/applic...550-winxp-msgina-dll-shlwapi-dll-problem.html

The link above gives the steps for XP, but Vista will probably be
similar. I don't know for sure, but you may have to register the dll
once you've got it copied back onto your machine.

Mike

Paul Sijben

Mike said:
Hmmm...I'm not familiar with that DLL, but a little googling seems to
indicate that you may be able to get it off your installation CD:

it actually is there on my system. So this may be the red herring the
Dependency Walker FAQ is warning for....

maybe I should leave this mess and revert to python 2.5....