DetailsView control and checkboxlist inside a template

Savvoulidis Iordanis

In VS2008, I have a DetailsView control with a checkboxlist control inside
its Edit template.
(1) I want the checkboxlist to be dynamic and display only as many
checkboxes as a user setting is configured. How?
(2) Also the column that should depict the checkboxlist selections, is a
simple character column in SSE2005, in the form of a comma-delimited string
(e.g. 1,5,7,12,23). When the DetailsView is loaded, I want each of the
corresponding checkboxes in the checkboxlist to be checked, one for each
number in the comma-delimited string. And also when updating, I want to check
each checkbox in the list and reproduce a comma-delimited string to save it
in the database.

Which events inside the DetailsView should I use and how?

PS. I don't use ASP.NET's automatic features for updating for the
DetailsView. The control is always in Edit Mode, and I act based on custom
command button events inside the templates to do my job.

TIA
Iordanis