Detailsview with objectdatasource

Paul S

I'm using a detailsview with an objectdatasource. When I click Update to
save my edited record ItemUpdating gets called but e.NewValues.Count = 0.

What am I doing wrong?

The design is a dropdown ddlEvent where a date is selected. With taht as a
key the event to be edited is selected in the DetailsView

if (!this.IsPostBack)
{
try
{
MatchCollection matches = new MatchCollection();
matches.FillWithEventsAfter(new DateTime(2009, 1, 1), 10);

this.ddlEvent.DataValueField = "MatchId";
this.ddlEvent.DataTextField = "DateOfEvent";
this.ddlEvent.DataSource = matches;
this.ddlEvent.DataBind();

this.BindDetailsView();

}
catch (Exception ex)
{
Response.Write(ex.ToString());

/// <summary>
/// New date has been selected so refresh view
/// </summary>
/// <param name="sender"></param>
/// <param name="e"></param>
protected void ddlEvent_SelectedIndexChanged(object sender,
EventArgs e)
{
//Response.Write(this.ddlEvent.SelectedValue.ToString());
this.BindDetailsView();
}

private void BindDetailsView()
{
MatchCollection matches = new MatchCollection();
matches.Fill(int.Parse(this.ddlEvent.SelectedValue));

this.dvEvent.DataSource = matches;
this.dvEvent.DataBind();
this.dvEvent.DefaultMode = DetailsViewMode.ReadOnly;
}

protected void dvEvent_ModeChanged(object sender, EventArgs e)

protected void dvEvent_ModeChanging(object sender,
DetailsViewModeEventArgs e)
{
this.dvEvent.ChangeMode(e.NewMode);
this.BindDetailsView();
}

protected void dvEvent_ItemCommand(object sender,
DetailsViewCommandEventArgs e)
{
if (e.CommandName.Equals("edit",
StringComparison.InvariantCultureIgnoreCase))
if (e.CommandName.Equals("Cancel",
StringComparison.InvariantCultureIgnoreCase))
{
;
}
if (e.CommandName.Equals("New",
StringComparison.InvariantCultureIgnoreCase))
;

if (e.CommandName.Equals("update",
StringComparison.InvariantCultureIgnoreCase))
{
this.dvEvent.UpdateItem(true);

protected void dvEvent_ItemUpdating(object sender,
DetailsViewUpdateEventArgs e)
{
MatchCollection matches = new MatchCollection();
matches.Fill(int.Parse(this.ddlEvent.SelectedValue));
if (matches.Count < 1)
return;

MatchInfo mi = matches[0];
mi.Description = e.NewValues["Description"].ToString();
mi.CourseId = (int)e.NewValues["CourseId"];
// etc
try
{
matches.Update();
this.dvEvent.ChangeMode(DetailsViewMode.ReadOnly);
}
catch (Exception)
// error handling
}

Thanks
Paul S

Steven Cheng

Hi Paul,

From your description, the DetailsView.ItemUpdating event doesn't contain
the proper values(in the NewValues collection) when performing updating,
correct?

I'm wondering whether it is a datasource or control specific issue. Have
you tried directly using a SqlDataSource control for the DetailsView
connection or directly connect the DetailsView to datasource control
without filtering from the dropdownlist to see whether it makes any
difference?

I've tried a simple SqlDataSource case with the ItemUpdating event below
which shows all the parameters in both OldValues and NewValues collection:
protected void DetailsView2_ItemUpdating(object sender,
DetailsViewUpdateEventArgs e)
{
Response.Write("<br/>Old values:");
foreach (var oldp in e.OldValues.Keys)
{
Response.Write("<br/>" + oldp);
}

Response.Write("<br/>New values:");
foreach (var newp in e.NewValues.Keys)
{
Response.Write("<br/>" + newp);
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

--------------------
From: =?Utf-8?B?UGF1bCBT?= <[email protected]>
Subject: Detailsview with objectdatasource
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 08:47:01 -0700

[...]

Hi Steven
I haven't tried the SqlDataSource but I'll do that

Thanks
Paul S

"Steven Cheng" said:
Hi Paul,

From your description, the DetailsView.ItemUpdating event doesn't contain

From: =?Utf-8?B?UGF1bCBT?= <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 08:47:01 -0700

[...]

.

Steven Cheng

Thanks for your reply Paul,

Yes, by checking different controls can help verify whether the problem is
specific to the objectdatasource or the data access class it uses
internally.