Detect Session Timeout

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Cam, Feb 2, 2006.

  1. Cam

    Cam Guest

    Hi to all

    I have searched this subject and found some posts but none of them seem to
    answer my problem.

    I am developing a shop site and need to detect when a session times out
    through inactivity and tell the user that it has been reset and he has to
    start over.

    I set some session variables in a global.asa file so when the user restarts
    the session variables reset and I can't detect if they change.
    For example
    'If Session("id") <> Some kind of check'
    will always return False because the check mechanism resets as well

    I've tried sending an ID to a database table in the global.asa but my server
    doesn't seem to handle that.

    The answers given on this subject all assume that the user will enter via a
    log in page. I can't arrange this on this particular site because it is only
    account customers who have to log in, general punters are served pages
    direct and they could enter the site anywhere.

    Hope I have explained the problem well enough for you to help.

    Clive

    Cam, Feb 2, 2006

  2. Cam wrote:
    > Hi to all
    >
    > I have searched this subject and found some posts but none of them
    > seem to answer my problem.
    >
    > I am developing a shop site and need to detect when a session times
    > out through inactivity and tell the user that it has been reset and
    > he has to start over.

    Here are a couple related articles:
    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2265
    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2491

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Feb 2, 2006

  3. Cam

    Cam Guest

    Thanks, Bob

    I should be able to do something with the first one

    Clive

    Cam, Feb 3, 2006