Detect which button was clicked?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZQ==?=, Feb 26, 2004.

1. If you have multiple buttons on a web form, how can you detect which control was clicked in the Page_Load event

Thanks, Dave
    =?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZQ==?=, Feb 26, 2004
    1. Advertising

2. You can detect which control was clicked by writing an event handler for it.

--
    HTH,
    Kevin Spencer
    ..Net Developer
    Microsoft MVP
    Big things are made up
    of lots of little things.

"Dave" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > If you have multiple buttons on a web form, how can you detect which

control was clicked in the Page_Load event?
    >
    > Thanks, Dave
    Kevin Spencer, Feb 26, 2004
    1. Advertising

3. I don't think there's a way ASP.NET tells which button was clicked in the Page_Load. Although I've seen people mention a server variable?? EVENT_TARGET?? or something to that effect that supposed to tell you which button click is being processed. But the only way I've been able to do it is thru setting a hidden variable on the client that I set using javascript when the asp.net server side button is clicked. Then it just like old asp where you access the hidden text using Request.Form["myhiddentextid"]

Why do you want to do this anyway
    ASP.NET does allow you to designate and handle events for server side buttons individually

Suresh

----- Dave wrote: ----

If you have multiple buttons on a web form, how can you detect which control was clicked in the Page_Load event

Thanks, Dave
    =?Utf-8?B?U3VyZXNo?=, Feb 26, 2004
  4. Yes..

This is what I was referring to when I sai
    >Why do you want to do this anyway
    >ASP.NET does allow you to designate and handle events for server side buttons individually

I may have misunderstood you when you said
    >If you have multiple buttons on a web form, how can you detect which control was clicked in the Page_Load event

There isn't way to do this in the Page_Load event. The button click is a seperate event and has to be handled outside of the Page_Load event

Suresh

----- Dave wrote: ----

Thanks, I think you can. This is what I found in regards to Kevin's response

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...l/vbtskrespondingtobuttonwebcontrolevents.asp
    =?Utf-8?B?U3VyZXNo?=, Feb 26, 2004
    1. Advertising