    we want to give the user a limited access to the web site

    Thanks in Advance
    Raj

    Raj, Apr 14, 2004

  2. Raj

    Hywel Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Hi All,
    > Is it possible to detect if a client software is installed on a
    > machine using browser javascript.
    >
    > we are building a web/windows software and when the user logs into
    > the web application, we want to detect if our software is installed on
    > the client machine and if so we want to provide more access, or else
    > we want to give the user a limited access to the web site

    var mySoftware = confirm("Is our software installed on your machine?");

    --
    Hywel I do not eat quiche
    http://kibo.org.uk/

    Hywel, Apr 14, 2004

  3. Raj wrote:

    > Hi All,
    > Is it possible to detect if a client software is installed on a
    > machine using browser javascript.
    >
    > we are building a web/windows software and when the user logs into
    > the web application, we want to detect if our software is installed on
    > the client machine and if so we want to provide more access, or else
    > we want to give the user a limited access to the web site
    >
    > Thanks in Advance
    > Raj

    Short answer is no... you could try cookies but there is no guarantee
    that the user allows them or keeps them... If the user has your software
    installed then *maybe* someone in some windoze newsgroup might be able
    to tell you how to change the registery whereby mime-types or other such
    info sent with browser headers *might* help tell you this info - However
    javascript security prohibits any other method of you tinkering /
    peeking under the hood of a windoze box... If you wanted to be evil, you
    could try ActiveX but I deny them no matter who signs them...

    randelld

  4. Raj

    Grant Wagner Guest

    Raj wrote:

    > Hi All,
    > Is it possible to detect if a client software is installed on a
    > machine using browser javascript.
    >
    > we are building a web/windows software and when the user logs into
    > the web application, we want to detect if our software is installed on
    > the client machine and if so we want to provide more access, or else
    > we want to give the user a limited access to the web site
    >
    > Thanks in Advance
    > Raj

    Have your software modify

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
    Settings\User Agent\Post Platform

    and add a "String" value that uniquely identifies your application. It
    will then be sent as part of the HTTP_USER_AGENT sent with each request
    from IE (assuming the user is using IE and that they haven't tinkered with
    values themselves). You only need give the "Name" of the key/value pair
    the information you want to display, the "Data" portion is ignored.

    --
    | Grant Wagner <>

    *

    *