Detect windows client software installed on a client machine

Raj

Hi All,
Is it possible to detect if a client software is installed on a
machine using browser javascript.

we are building a web/windows software and when the user logs into
the web application, we want to detect if our software is installed on
the client machine and if so we want to provide more access, or else
we want to give the user a limited access to the web site

Thanks in Advance
Raj

Hywel

Hi All,
Is it possible to detect if a client software is installed on a
machine using browser javascript.

we are building a web/windows software and when the user logs into
the web application, we want to detect if our software is installed on
the client machine and if so we want to provide more access, or else
we want to give the user a limited access to the web site

var mySoftware = confirm("Is our software installed on your machine?");

Raj said:
Hi All,
Is it possible to detect if a client software is installed on a
machine using browser javascript.

we are building a web/windows software and when the user logs into
the web application, we want to detect if our software is installed on
the client machine and if so we want to provide more access, or else
we want to give the user a limited access to the web site

Thanks in Advance
Raj

Short answer is no... you could try cookies but there is no guarantee
that the user allows them or keeps them... If the user has your software
installed then *maybe* someone in some windoze newsgroup might be able
to tell you how to change the registery whereby mime-types or other such
info sent with browser headers *might* help tell you this info - However
javascript security prohibits any other method of you tinkering /
peeking under the hood of a windoze box... If you wanted to be evil, you
could try ActiveX but I deny them no matter who signs them...

randelld

Grant Wagner

Raj said:
Hi All,
Is it possible to detect if a client software is installed on a
machine using browser javascript.

we are building a web/windows software and when the user logs into
the web application, we want to detect if our software is installed on
the client machine and if so we want to provide more access, or else
we want to give the user a limited access to the web site

Thanks in Advance
Raj

Have your software modify

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings\User Agent\Post Platform

and add a "String" value that uniquely identifies your application. It
will then be sent as part of the HTTP_USER_AGENT sent with each request
from IE (assuming the user is using IE and that they haven't tinkered with
values themselves). You only need give the "Name" of the key/value pair
the information you want to display, the "Data" portion is ignored.

--
| Grant Wagner <[email protected]>

*

*