Detectif its a device or aweb browser and then redirect?

Luis Esteban Valencia

I have a website for normal browsing with ASP.net! but I want that when
people targets at
www.mydomain.com the default.aspx detects if its a mobile or just a normal
browser and redirect to the appropiate file.

JuanDG

it's really simple thanks to the magic of the Device Capabilities Assessment
model of ASP.NET Mobile Web Forms.
all you have to do is ask in the "Page_Load" event of your Mobile Web Form,
if the requesting browser Is a Mobile Device.
Your code will look like this:

public void Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
{
if (Request.Browser["IsMobileDevice"] == "true" )
{
Response.Redirect("MobileDefault.aspx");
}
else
{
Response.Redirect("DesktopDefault.aspx");
}
}

I'm preparing an article on the ASP.NET's Device Capabilities Assessment
Model for PanoramaBox, as soon as it's finished I'll let you know.

Take Care!!!!

--

Juan David Gomez A.
Microsoft Certified Professional

Luis Esteban Valencia

thanks

--
LUIS ESTEBAN VALENCIA
MICROSOFT DCE 3.
JuanDG said:
it's really simple thanks to the magic of the Device Capabilities Assessment
model of ASP.NET Mobile Web Forms.
all you have to do is ask in the "Page_Load" event of your Mobile Web Form,
if the requesting browser Is a Mobile Device.
Your code will look like this:

public void Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
{
if (Request.Browser["IsMobileDevice"] == "true" )
{
Response.Redirect("MobileDefault.aspx");
}
else
{
Response.Redirect("DesktopDefault.aspx");
}

Sacha Korell

This doesn't work for me.

Request.Browser("IsMobileDevice") returns false when connecting with my iPAQ
2215, although HTTPBrowserCapabilities "Platform" returns "WinCE".

What's going on? I'm using VS.NET2003 for development with DeviceUpdate4
installed.

I had a code snippet like:

If Not (Page.IsPostBack) Then
If (Device.IsMobileDevice) Then
RedirectToMobilePage("mobile/m_default.aspx")
Else
Response.Redirect("default.aspx")
End If
End If

It used to work just fine, but now "Device.IsMobileDevice" also returns
false.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Sacha

JuanDG said:
it's really simple thanks to the magic of the Device Capabilities
Assessment model of ASP.NET Mobile Web Forms.
all you have to do is ask in the "Page_Load" event of your Mobile Web
Form, if the requesting browser Is a Mobile Device.
Your code will look like this:

public void Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
{
if (Request.Browser["IsMobileDevice"] == "true" )
{
Response.Redirect("MobileDefault.aspx");
}
else
{
Response.Redirect("DesktopDefault.aspx");
}

esiquio

Sacha

IsMobileDevice not always is the best option( I keep getting false with
with pocketpc). The best option to find out if is a mobile device or
not is to obtain the OS.

if (Request.Browser.Platform.ToString().IndexOf("WinCE")>-1 ||
Request.Browser.Platform.ToString().IndexOf("Palm")>-1||
Request.Browser.Platform.ToString().IndexOf("Pocket")>-1){
}

So if this if is true is a mobile device...probably there are more OS
around but to use a website with a pocketpc or palm this should work.

Have a great one. And I think this group is great, Congratulations to
everybody.