Detecting 64bit vs. 32bit Linux

dwelch91

I need to detect whether the operating system I am running on (not the
Python version) is 64bit or 32bit. One requirement is that I need to
include support for non-Intel/AMD architectures.

The 2 ways I have thought detecting 64bit are:

1. struct.calcsize("P") == 8
2. '64' in os.uname()[4]

I'm not convinced that either one of these is really adequate. Does
anybody have any other ideas on how to do this?

Thanks,

Don

Jim Segrave

I need to detect whether the operating system I am running on (not the
Python version) is 64bit or 32bit. One requirement is that I need to
include support for non-Intel/AMD architectures.

The 2 ways I have thought detecting 64bit are:

1. struct.calcsize("P") == 8
2. '64' in os.uname()[4]

I'm not convinced that either one of these is really adequate. Does
anybody have any other ideas on how to do this?

Does sys.maxint give what you need?

I think for most machines this will give you the answer you are
looking for - either 2**31 -1 for a 32 bit version or 2**63-1 for a 64
bit version. It's set up during the configure phase of building python

If you want to detect a 64bit OS running a compatibility mode for a 32
bit version of Python, then you'll need to figure out how to build and
incorporate a Python extension which can detect this situation

MrJean1

Try function architecture() from the platform module in Python 2.3 and
2.4. The first item of the returned tuple shows whether the underlying
system is 64-bit capable.

Here is what it returns on RedHat Fedora Core 2 Linux on Opteron:
('Linux', 'XXXX', '2.6.16.14', '#1 SMP Sat Jul 1 14:09:18 CDT 2006',
'x86_64', 'x86_64')

('Linux', 'XXXX', '2.6.10-1771-FC2', '#1 Mon Mar 28 00:50:14 EST 2005',
'i686', 'i686')

And on MacOS X 10.3.9 G4:
('Darwin', 'XXXX', '7.9.0', 'Darwin Kernel Version 7.9.0: Wed Mar 30
20:11:17 PST 2005; root:xnu/xnu-517.12.7.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC ', 'Power
Macintosh', 'powerpc')

/Jean Brouwers

I need to detect whether the operating system I am running on (not the
Python version) is 64bit or 32bit. One requirement is that I need to
include support for non-Intel/AMD architectures.

The 2 ways I have thought detecting 64bit are:

1. struct.calcsize("P") == 8
2. '64' in os.uname()[4]

I'm not convinced that either one of these is really adequate. Does
anybody have any other ideas on how to do this?

Thanks,

Don

Paul McGuire

MrJean1 said:
Try function architecture() from the platform module in Python 2.3 and
2.4. The first item of the returned tuple shows whether the underlying
system is 64-bit capable.

Here is what it returns on RedHat Fedora Core 2 Linux on Opteron:

('Linux', 'XXXX', '2.6.16.14', '#1 SMP Sat Jul 1 14:09:18 CDT 2006',
'x86_64', 'x86_64')

('Linux', 'XXXX', '2.6.10-1771-FC2', '#1 Mon Mar 28 00:50:14 EST 2005',
'i686', 'i686')

And on MacOS X 10.3.9 G4:

('Darwin', 'XXXX', '7.9.0', 'Darwin Kernel Version 7.9.0: Wed Mar 30
20:11:17 PST 2005; root:xnu/xnu-517.12.7.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC ', 'Power
Macintosh', 'powerpc')

One Windows XP 32-bit, I get:

Robert Kern

Jim said:
I need to detect whether the operating system I am running on (not the
Python version) is 64bit or 32bit. One requirement is that I need to
include support for non-Intel/AMD architectures.

The 2 ways I have thought detecting 64bit are:

1. struct.calcsize("P") == 8
2. '64' in os.uname()[4]

I'm not convinced that either one of these is really adequate. Does
anybody have any other ideas on how to do this?

Does sys.maxint give what you need?

I think for most machines this will give you the answer you are
looking for - either 2**31 -1 for a 32 bit version or 2**63-1 for a 64
bit version. It's set up during the configure phase of building python

No. Some 64-bit systems (notably Win64) leave C longs as 32-bit. This is known
as the LLP64 data model.

--
Robert Kern

an underlying truth."
-- Umberto Eco

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

dwelch91 said:
I need to detect whether the operating system I am running on (not the
Python version) is 64bit or 32bit. One requirement is that I need to
include support for non-Intel/AMD architectures.

The standard C way would be to check sizeof(void *).

Robin Becker

Michael Yanowitz wrote:
The standard C way would be to check sizeof(void *).
so on those old ARM RISC OSes with 32 bit arithmetic would I get sizeof(void *)
== 4 when the address bus was 26 bits wide? Seems a bit naive to assume the
address bus will always be the same width as the registers, but I guess the
compilers have to do something.

I seem to remember some compilers allowing pure 32 bit addressing on 8088
machines (with 16 bit registers), but I think the M$ compilers all had near and
far pointer mechanisms to help you get confused.
-mumbling-ly yrs-
Robin Becker

Robert Kern

Michael said:
The one thing I observed (just an observation) is that:
a) on 32-bit machines:
sizeof(int) = 32
sizeof(long) = 32
b) on 64-bit machines:
sizeof(int) = 32
sizeof(long) = 64

This in C and Python.

As I've said previously in this thread, not all systems work like that.
Specifically, on Win64 sizeof(long) == 32.

--
Robert Kern

an underlying truth."
-- Umberto Eco

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Robin Becker said:
Michael Yanowitz wrote:
so on those old ARM RISC OSes with 32 bit arithmetic would I get sizeof(void
*)
== 4 when the address bus was 26 bits wide?

And the original 68000-based Macs where you would get the same
sizeof(void *), but the address bus was only 24 bits wide. Nevertheless,
you were supposed to pretend that addresses were a full 32 bits in size.
The programs that didn't got into trouble later.