Detecting a page accessed using browser history?

Ed Jay

Is there a method for detecting what page the user came from when a page
is accessed using the browser's history and javascript history.go() or
history.back()?

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Martin Weitzel"
No, the only way is afaik using the referer.

What are you referring to? In the future, please be sure to quote relavent
text.

Rob McAninch

Is there a method for detecting what page the user came from
when a page is accessed using the browser's history

Where they came from in this scenario is a 'direct entry' and
should be logged as such. What page that happened to be viewing
when they decided to use the browser's history is probably not
relevant.
and javascript history.go() or history.back()?

This should be the referer from their browser, though possibly if
the page is already cached and the browser is not configured to
automatically check for updates then it won't be logged at the
server.