detecting a socket reset

Harvey Tate

I am writing some code to read data from a socket. The server side
socket can reset and I am wondering how I detect the reset? Is there
an non-evasive way of detect a socket diconnect? I know I can do a
read and then catch the subsequent exception however is there a way to
detect the disconnect without doing the read?

Thanks

Andrew Thompson

I think I hit the submit button twice by accident...

I thought so too, in that case I might have made no comment,
until I realised your posts were not separated by
'a couple of seconds' which might support the
'hit button twice' hypothesis.

No, instead the posts were separated by approximately
'one hour ten minutes'. This completely does *not* support the
'hit button twice' hypothesis (or if that's what you consider a
'double click' - I'd hate see your work output stats!)

[ Or, in other words. Don't give me that crap. ]

Sudsy

Andrew Thompson wrote:
No, instead the posts were separated by approximately
'one hour ten minutes'. This completely does *not* support the
'hit button twice' hypothesis (or if that's what you consider a
'double click' - I'd hate see your work output stats!)

[ Or, in other words. Don't give me that crap. ]

So harsh! Then again, a fair observation...
Note to OP: don't try to hoodwink people who've been "around a bit"
("...around a bit...she's from Purley!")