Detecting Blank form field

Dale J. Kovacs

Whether you are submitting the page back to itself, or to
another page you could simply embed your submit within a
logic structure.

exp:

If Request.Form("form_field1") <> "" AND _
Request.Form("form_field1") <> "" Then
'submit the form
End If

However it's always a good practice to make sure all
values submitted to your database are in the correct
format and then submit.

exp:

b_submit_form = True

'I set all my variables first so I can reuse them later
'or alter them as needed.

d_date = Request.Form("form_field1")
i_value = Request.Form("form_field2")
s_comments = Request.Form("form_field3")

'In this example I want to confirm that the entered value
'is a date.

If IsDate(d_submit_date) = False Then
b_submit_form = False
'you can reset the variable back to blank if you
'refill the form later.
d_submit_date = ""
'you can also set an error message to display to the user
s_error = s_error & "A date must be a valid date. "
End If

'In this example I want to confirm that the entered value
'is a number.

If IsNumeric(i_submit_value) = False Then
b_submit_form = False
s_error = s_error & "FormField2 must be a numeric
value. "
End If

'In this example I want to confirm that the form field is
'not blank.
If s_comments = "" Then
b_submit_form = False
s_error = s_error & "FormField3 must be entered. "
End If

'Each form field Item would be checked to confirm proper
'values then we can submit the form

If b_submit_form Then
'submit the form
If Err.Description <> "" Then
s_return_message = "The following error occurred: " &
Err.Description
Else
s_return_message = "Thank you."
Else
s_return_message = s_error
End If

Of course everyone has there own ways of doing things,
this is just how I do it to make sure everything is in
order prior to submitting it to the database, and to let
the user know when there are problems.

Hope this helps,
- Dale