Detecting Blank form field

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Dale J. Kovacs, Sep 10, 2003.

  1. Whether you are submitting the page back to itself, or to
    another page you could simply embed your submit within a
    logic structure.

    exp:

    If Request.Form("form_field1") <> "" AND _
    Request.Form("form_field1") <> "" Then
    'submit the form
    End If

    However it's always a good practice to make sure all
    values submitted to your database are in the correct
    format and then submit.

    exp:

    b_submit_form = True

    'I set all my variables first so I can reuse them later
    'or alter them as needed.

    d_date = Request.Form("form_field1")
    i_value = Request.Form("form_field2")
    s_comments = Request.Form("form_field3")

    'In this example I want to confirm that the entered value
    'is a date.

    If IsDate(d_submit_date) = False Then
    b_submit_form = False
    'you can reset the variable back to blank if you
    'refill the form later.
    d_submit_date = ""
    'you can also set an error message to display to the user
    s_error = s_error & "A date must be a valid date. "
    End If

    'In this example I want to confirm that the entered value
    'is a number.

    If IsNumeric(i_submit_value) = False Then
    b_submit_form = False
    s_error = s_error & "FormField2 must be a numeric
    value. "
    End If

    'In this example I want to confirm that the form field is
    'not blank.
    If s_comments = "" Then
    b_submit_form = False
    s_error = s_error & "FormField3 must be entered. "
    End If

    'Each form field Item would be checked to confirm proper
    'values then we can submit the form

    If b_submit_form Then
    'submit the form
    If Err.Description <> "" Then
    s_return_message = "The following error occurred: " &
    Err.Description
    Else
    s_return_message = "Thank you."
    Else
    s_return_message = s_error
    End If

    Of course everyone has there own ways of doing things,
    this is just how I do it to make sure everything is in
    order prior to submitting it to the database, and to let
    the user know when there are problems.

    Hope this helps,
    - Dale
    Dale J. Kovacs, Sep 10, 2003