detecting change in textarea

laredotornado

Hello, I am trying to detect whether a user entered text in a textarea
or hit the delete/backspace button (thus, erasing something). Once
that is detected, I would like to set "var bSaveRequired = true;". It
would be great if this function worked cross-browser -- IE 6.0 and
Firefox.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated, - Dave

RobB

Hello, I am trying to detect whether a user entered text in a textarea
or hit the delete/backspace button (thus, erasing something). Once
that is detected, I would like to set "var bSaveRequired = true;". It
would be great if this function worked cross-browser -- IE 6.0 and
Firefox.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated, - Dave

[untested]

<textarea
onkeyup="bSaveRequired=(this.value!=this.defaultValue)">
</textarea>

http://docs.sun.com/source/816-6408-10/textarea.htm#1193303