Detecting CLient Computers Settings

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?QmlsbA==?=, May 31, 2004.

  1. I am writing a series of pages that will be used in house in a intranet to hold information about every computer hooked up to it. What I want, is when I go to this page, I would like to have the option to Autodetect things such as Ram, Ram Type, and anything else that I can about it. I already know how to get information on the OS and browser, but is there a way to get the other stuff? thanks

    Bill

    =?Utf-8?B?QmlsbA==?=, May 31, 2004

  2. you would need to write some form of activex control that could query the
    local clients operating system and pass the values to the server for
    interrogation. The server cant do that for you and its not information
    normally passed in a browser session.

    --
    Regards

    John Timney
    Microsoft Regional Director
    Microsoft MVP

    John Timney \(Microsoft MVP\), May 31, 2004

  3. =?Utf-8?B?QmlsbA==?=

    Martin Maat Guest

    "Bill" <> wrote in message

    > I am writing a series of pages that will be used in house in
    > a intranet to hold information about every computer hooked
    > up to it. What I want, is when I go to this page, I would like
    > to have the option to Autodetect things such as Ram, Ram
    > Type, and anything else that I can about it. I already know
    > how to get information on the OS and browser, but is there
    > a way to get the other stuff? thanks.

    Whatever approach you choose, you will need to use the WBEM interfaces.
    Some arbitrary links on the subject to get you started:

    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/pnppwr/wmi/WMI-intro.mspx
    http://www.winnetmag.com/Article/ArticleID/3568/3568.html
    http://www.winnetmag.com/Windows/Article/ArticleID/7937/7937.html

    Martin.