Detecting CLient Computers Settings

Guest

I am writing a series of pages that will be used in house in a intranet to hold information about every computer hooked up to it. What I want, is when I go to this page, I would like to have the option to Autodetect things such as Ram, Ram Type, and anything else that I can about it. I already know how to get information on the OS and browser, but is there a way to get the other stuff? thanks

Bill

John Timney \(Microsoft MVP\)

you would need to write some form of activex control that could query the
local clients operating system and pass the values to the server for
interrogation. The server cant do that for you and its not information
normally passed in a browser session.

--
Regards

John Timney
Microsoft Regional Director
Microsoft MVP

Bill said:
I am writing a series of pages that will be used in house in a intranet to
hold information about every computer hooked up to it. What I want, is when
I go to this page, I would like to have the option to Autodetect things such
as Ram, Ram Type, and anything else that I can about it. I already know how
to get information on the OS and browser, but is there a way to get the
other stuff? thanks.

Martin Maat

I am writing a series of pages that will be used in house in
a intranet to hold information about every computer hooked
up to it. What I want, is when I go to this page, I would like
to have the option to Autodetect things such as Ram, Ram
Type, and anything else that I can about it. I already know
how to get information on the OS and browser, but is there
a way to get the other stuff? thanks.

Whatever approach you choose, you will need to use the WBEM interfaces.
Some arbitrary links on the subject to get you started:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/pnppwr/wmi/WMI-intro.mspx
http://www.winnetmag.com/Article/ArticleID/3568/3568.html
http://www.winnetmag.com/Windows/Article/ArticleID/7937/7937.html

Martin.