Detecting Client's scripting support

Austin Rathe

Dear All,

I need to be able to detect, server side, if the client machine using my
ASP.NET web app supports Javascript. I know there are browser object
properties that tell me if the client browser *in principle* supports
javascript, but as far as I can tell they don't tell you if the user has
disabled scripting manually.

I have seen sites using PHP that can do this, but I can't see how to do
it in .NET. Any ideas?

All help much appreciated.

Austin Rathe

Kevin Spencer

If the client is NOT supporting JavaScript, you're in big trouble! ASP.Net
relies HEAVILY on JavaScript for its programming model. It might be better
for you to use ASP if that is a consideration.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

bruce barker

you do a sniffer page

<form name=test action="sniffer.aspx" method="get">
<input type=hidden name="jtest" value="0">
</form>
<script>document.test,jtest.value="1";document.test.submit();</script>

on the the refresh, test if jtest is 1 or 0

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Austin Rathe

you do a sniffer page

Good tip, thanks!

Regarding ASP>NET's use of script, its actually pretty easy to make
pages not use scripts client side, provided that you don't use
linkbutton controls or client side validation, everything else more or
less works.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Austin