detecting disc serial number without win32

PiErre

Hi,
I have to run a python script on a Linux machine. This script was
developed on a windows workstation and it
uses the win32 library to detect the cd (or dvd) serial number (in the
XXXX-XXXX format).
How can I change the script to do the same task on linux?
I found an old post on the same task [ "(Joliet) volume name and
serial number" on 26 Feb 2003 ]
but without answer...
Any chance there is now a way of implement such a low-level feature?
TIA!
bye,
PiErre

Peter Otten

PiErre said:
I have to run a python script on a Linux machine. This script was
developed on a windows workstation and it
uses the win32 library to detect the cd (or dvd) serial number (in the
XXXX-XXXX format).
How can I change the script to do the same task on linux?
I found an old post on the same task [ "(Joliet) volume name and
serial number" on 26 Feb 2003 ]
but without answer...

Hey, that was my first post on c.l.py. After that underwhelming response I
took to answering posts :)
Any chance there is now a way of implement such a low-level
feature?

On Ubuntu there is the python-cddb package

http://packages.ubuntu.com/gutsy/python/python-cddb

providing DiskID.disk_id(), and retrieving CD titles etc. works fine.

However, comparing the disk IDs with the serial numbers in that Access-DB
of yore, they differ -- so back to square one.

Older not wiser,
Peter