Detecting end of file for VHDL'93

Gary Thorpe

Hi,

I am recompiling some VHDL files using the cadence tool ncvhdl (originally
compiled with vhdlan from synopsys). I am encountering an error saying that
std.textio.endline is not valid for VHDL'93. It works for the old tool and no
information I can find in the FAQ says that there is any alternate way to
detect when the end of a file is reached. Would anyone know the VHDL'93
compliant way to detect when the end of a file is reached?

gthorpe

Gary Thorpe said:
I am recompiling some VHDL files using the cadence tool ncvhdl (originally
compiled with vhdlan from synopsys). I am encountering an error saying that
std.textio.endline is not valid for VHDL'93. It works for the old tool and no
information I can find in the FAQ says that there is any alternate way to
detect when the end of a file is reached. Would anyone know the VHDL'93
compliant way to detect when the end of a file is reached?

Sorry, I got the error message wrong: the problem is with endline and not
endfile. What is the VHDL'93 way of detecting the end of a line?

Nicolas Matringe

In VHDL'93 you have to use the 'length attribute:
if your_line'length = 0 then
end if;

Nicolas