    that says we are working on the site and until then use IE for the best
    results? thanks or even do this as a label on the page so we can at least
    say it.
    Brian Henry, Mar 30, 2005

  2. Brian Henry

    darrel Guest

    > We are trying to get our site to be 100% compatable in firefox also, but
    > right now it is a mess in firefox (CSS formatting problems)

    That likely means your CSS is bad. Firefox is perhaps the most compliant
    browser out there. Make your CSS work for Firefox, then fix for IE and the
    rest with hacks.

    > is there anyway
    > we can detect on page load the browser as that and if it is display a

    alert
    > that says we are working on the site and until then use IE for the best
    > results?

    You could, but that would make the site look rather incompetant. Again, IE
    is your problem here, not Firefox.

    -Darrel
    darrel, Mar 30, 2005

  3. Brian Henry

    Brian Henry Guest

    CSS validates fine using the W3C CSS validator, and the company that
    designed the CSS for us for the site claimes its W3C complient... so until
    we get word back from them on it, need a message to notify the users on this
    problem

    Brian Henry, Mar 30, 2005
  4. Brian Henry

    Mark Rae Guest

    "Brian Henry" <> wrote in message

    > CSS validates fine using the W3C CSS validator, and the company that
    > designed the CSS for us for the site claimes its W3C complient... so until
    > we get word back from them on it, need a message to notify the users on
    > this problem

    Take Darrel's advice.

    But, it's easy enough to detect FireFox using client-side JavaScript.

    <script>document.write(navigator.userAgent);</script>

    should display something like:

    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7) Gecko/20040803
    Firefox/0.9.3

    depending on your O/S and version of Firefox.
    Mark Rae, Mar 30, 2005
  5. Brian Henry

    darrel Guest

    > CSS validates fine using the W3C CSS validator

    Valid and 'correct' are two different things.

    The issue is that Firefox, for the most part, renders CSS the closest to the
    standards. IE fails in numerous areas.

    So they may have written valid CSS and Markup but did so only targetting IE.
    Which means that there are mistakes in the layout that just happen to look
    'right' in IE do to IE's faults.

    > and the company that
    > designed the CSS for us for the site claimes its W3C complient

    Got a link? if they adhered to the standards, then Firefox shouldn't be
    causing you any grief.

    .... so until
    > we get word back from them on it, need a message to notify the users on

    this
    > problem

    Here's an example for detection:

    http://www.ericgiguere.com/articles/how-to-detect-firefox.html

    Basically, you are trusting the response headers and grabbing the browser
    information from there.

    -Darrel
    darrel, Mar 30, 2005