detecting firefox

Brian Henry

We are trying to get our site to be 100% compatable in firefox also, but
right now it is a mess in firefox (CSS formatting problems) is there anyway
we can detect on page load the browser as that and if it is display a alert
that says we are working on the site and until then use IE for the best
results? thanks or even do this as a label on the page so we can at least
say it.

darrel

We are trying to get our site to be 100% compatable in firefox also, but
right now it is a mess in firefox (CSS formatting problems)

That likely means your CSS is bad. Firefox is perhaps the most compliant
browser out there. Make your CSS work for Firefox, then fix for IE and the
rest with hacks.
is there anyway
we can detect on page load the browser as that and if it is display a alert
that says we are working on the site and until then use IE for the best
results?

You could, but that would make the site look rather incompetant. Again, IE
is your problem here, not Firefox.

-Darrel

Brian Henry

CSS validates fine using the W3C CSS validator, and the company that
designed the CSS for us for the site claimes its W3C complient... so until
we get word back from them on it, need a message to notify the users on this
problem

Mark Rae

CSS validates fine using the W3C CSS validator, and the company that
designed the CSS for us for the site claimes its W3C complient... so until
we get word back from them on it, need a message to notify the users on
this problem

Take Darrel's advice.

But, it's easy enough to detect FireFox using client-side JavaScript.

<script>document.write(navigator.userAgent);</script>

should display something like:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7) Gecko/20040803
Firefox/0.9.3

depending on your O/S and version of Firefox.

darrel

CSS validates fine using the W3C CSS validator

Valid and 'correct' are two different things.

The issue is that Firefox, for the most part, renders CSS the closest to the
standards. IE fails in numerous areas.

So they may have written valid CSS and Markup but did so only targetting IE.
Which means that there are mistakes in the layout that just happen to look
'right' in IE do to IE's faults.
and the company that
designed the CSS for us for the site claimes its W3C complient

Got a link? if they adhered to the standards, then Firefox shouldn't be
causing you any grief.

.... so until
we get word back from them on it, need a message to notify the users on this
problem

Here's an example for detection:

http://www.ericgiguere.com/articles/how-to-detect-firefox.html

Basically, you are trusting the response headers and grabbing the browser
information from there.

-Darrel