    flash installed using ASP.

    Many thanks.

    Robbie

    Astra, Oct 15, 2004

  2. I would assume not, ASP is server side the flash program will be client
    side, the only way you will find out is through client side script

    "Astra" <> wrote in message
    > Hi All
    >
    > I have a Javascript to detect whether a client's browser has flash
    > installed, but as so many people are putting me off relying on Javascript,
    > could you please let me know if you know how to detect whether a browser

    has

    Steven Scaife, Oct 15, 2004

  3. Astra

    Mark Schupp Guest

    Put a Flash piece on a page that requests an ASP script on your site. Have
    the script set a session variable. If the script runs then Flash is enabled.
    Otherwise it is not.

    --
    Mark Schupp
    Head of Development

    Mark Schupp, Oct 15, 2004
  4. Astra

    Bill Guest

    Can Flash set cookie? If so, then have the Flash app set a cookie, and then
    have ASP check for the cookie.

    -Bill.

    Bill, Oct 17, 2004
  5. Astra

    Sven Pernils Guest

    Why not having a Client Side "JavaScript" check the ability to run
    Flash...let the client script set a cookie and read that cookie from ASP

    Sven

    Sven Pernils, Oct 18, 2004
  6. Astra

    Laphan Guest

    Hi Guys

    Many thanks for the replies and sorry for the delay, I've basically been
    off-line.

    The reason I wanted to check for a flash plugin using ASP is because with
    the advent of Win XP SP2, the joe doe visitor may receive an overbaked
    microsoft warning saying that it has blocked harmful scripting when all I
    wanted to do was use a javascript doc.write or location.href redirect to
    auto-point the visitor to a flash or non-flash site.

    Do you know of a way round this problem in Javascript?

    I don't want to go down the age old route of giving a 'Flash site' and
    'non-Flash Site' button option. I want it to be auto.

    Thanks

    Laphan

    Laphan, Nov 4, 2004
  7. Unfortunately, the way to "detect" a plug-in is to try and run/instantiate
    it. You can't do this from ASP! ASP runs on the server. To detect a
    client-side component, you need to run client-side code. There is no sneaky
    way around this. Your users will either trust your site and hit OK, or they
    won't. Or, you could develop your site without Flash.

    http://www.aspfaq.com/2013

    --
    http://www.aspfaq.com/
    (Reverse address to reply.)