Detecting Flash with ASP

Astra

Hi All

I have a Javascript to detect whether a client's browser has flash
installed, but as so many people are putting me off relying on Javascript,
could you please let me know if you know how to detect whether a browser has
flash installed using ASP.

Many thanks.

Robbie

Steven Scaife

I would assume not, ASP is server side the flash program will be client
side, the only way you will find out is through client side script

Mark Schupp

Put a Flash piece on a page that requests an ASP script on your site. Have
the script set a session variable. If the script runs then Flash is enabled.
Otherwise it is not.

Bill

Can Flash set cookie? If so, then have the Flash app set a cookie, and then
have ASP check for the cookie.

-Bill.

Sven Pernils

Why not having a Client Side "JavaScript" check the ability to run
Flash...let the client script set a cookie and read that cookie from ASP

Sven

Laphan

Hi Guys

Many thanks for the replies and sorry for the delay, I've basically been
off-line.

The reason I wanted to check for a flash plugin using ASP is because with
the advent of Win XP SP2, the joe doe visitor may receive an overbaked
microsoft warning saying that it has blocked harmful scripting when all I
wanted to do was use a javascript doc.write or location.href redirect to
auto-point the visitor to a flash or non-flash site.

Do you know of a way round this problem in Javascript?

I don't want to go down the age old route of giving a 'Flash site' and
'non-Flash Site' button option. I want it to be auto.

Thanks

Laphan

Why not having a Client Side "JavaScript" check the ability to run
Flash...let the client script set a cookie and read that cookie from ASP

Sven

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

Unfortunately, the way to "detect" a plug-in is to try and run/instantiate
it. You can't do this from ASP! ASP runs on the server. To detect a
client-side component, you need to run client-side code. There is no sneaky
way around this. Your users will either trust your site and hit OK, or they
won't. Or, you could develop your site without Flash.

http://www.aspfaq.com/2013

--
http://www.aspfaq.com/
(Reverse address to reply.)