    My problem is that some MS-OS do not deliver the userAgent value

    Best Regards

    Torben Birk
    Torben Birk, Sep 5, 2006

  2. Torben Birk

    Andy Dingley Guest

    Torben Birk wrote:

    > I wonder if there is a easier way to dertermine whether a browser-client has
    > "installed" .NET2.0 framework

    if (site_requires_weird_client_side_runtime):
    delete_site_and_start_again()
    Andy Dingley, Sep 5, 2006

  3. Torben Birk

    Sym Guest

    > if (site_requires_weird_client_side_runtime):
    > delete_site_and_start_again()

    I can think of many reasons why you may want to check for this. e.g.
    what if he has a site specifically for .net developers and he wants to
    detect what version of .net they have.

    ;)
    Sym, Sep 5, 2006
  4. Torben Birk

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Torben Birk wrote:

    > I wonder if there is a easier way to dertermine whether a browser-client has
    > "installed" .NET2.0 framework than parsing the "navigator.userAgent" for the
    > string "net clr 2.0". I use it to select which code to run when browser log
    > on to my web-server.

    Unless I am missing something here... If you are running the code on the
    server then it doesn't matter whether or not the user has the .Net
    Framework installed. Or are you talking about something different?

    --
    Dylan Parry

    Programming, n: A pastime similar to banging one's head
    against a wall, but with fewer opportunities for reward.
    Dylan Parry, Sep 5, 2006
  5. Torben Birk

    Torben Birk Guest

    Hi

    I want to take measures if user hasn't the framework installed. And if not
    they will be prompted to install it in order to take advantage of services.

    BR

    Torben Birk

    Torben Birk, Sep 5, 2006
  6. ##TOP POSTING CORRECTED##
    Torben Birk wrote:
    > "Dylan Parry" wrote:
    >> Torben Birk wrote:
    >>
    >>> I wonder if there is a easier way to dertermine whether a
    >>> browser-client has "installed" .NET2.0 framework than parsing
    >>> the "navigator.userAgent" for the string "net clr 2.0".
    >>> I use it to select which code to run when browser log on to
    >>> my web-server.

    >> Unless I am missing something here... If you are running the code on
    >> the server then it doesn't matter whether or not the user has the
    >> .Net Framework installed. Or are you talking about something
    >> different?

    > I want to take measures if user hasn't the framework installed. And if not
    > they will be prompted to install it in order to take advantage of services.

    With modern browsers, many can modify their userAgent string, oh your
    probably look at IE only...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Sep 5, 2006
  7. Torben Birk

    Torben Birk Guest

    I know, that's easy to change strings in registry.

    Torben Birk, Sep 5, 2006
  8. Torben Birk

    Torben Birk Guest

    That's not an <OPTION>

    Torben Birk, Sep 5, 2006
  9. Torben Birk wrote:

    > "Jonathan N. Little" wrote:

    >> ##TOP POSTING CORRECTED##

    <snip>

    >> With modern browsers, many can modify their userAgent string, oh your
    >> probably look at IE only...
    >>

    > I know, that's easy to change strings in registry.

    You managed to miss both my points.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    Jonathan N. Little, Sep 5, 2006
  10. Torben Birk

    Andy Dingley Guest

    Torben Birk wrote:

    > I know, that's easy to change strings in registry.

    What's a registry, and what makes you think I have one?
    Andy Dingley, Sep 5, 2006
  11. Torben Birk

    Torben Birk Guest

    Are you guys for reel - or just in for a chit chat?

    Torben Birk, Sep 5, 2006
  12. Torben Birk

    Torben Birk Guest

    The relevant user will only access site with IE. It's a restricted area with
    rules.

    Pretty-please enlighten me with your to points I missed.

    Torben

    Torben Birk, Sep 5, 2006
  13. Torben Birk wrote:
    > The relevant user will only access site with IE. It's a restricted area with
    > rules.
    >
    > Pretty-please enlighten me with your to points I missed.
    >
    > Torben
    >

    > "Jonathan N. Little" <> skrev i en meddelelse

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/En/wiki/Top_posting
    En/wiki/Top posting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    Jonathan N. Little, Sep 5, 2006
  14. Jonathan N. Little, Sep 5, 2006
  15. Torben Birk

    Andy Dingley Guest

    Torben Birk wrote:

    > That's not an <OPTION>

    Then that's not a web site.
    Andy Dingley, Sep 5, 2006
  16. Torben Birk

    Sym Guest

    Jeez - i think the guy is asking the question in regard to an app he is
    distributing via html, and that the end users will be on windows and
    use IE as their UI.

    So no funny comments on whats a registry and that is not a web site etc
    required, yes we alll know many people are on *nix (myself :)) or apple
    or Dec Vax even but i think it is obvious what this guy is asking for.
    or maybe not ?

    maybe this group should be renamed alt.flame ;)

    ps i am not top/bottom/inline/anything posting here, i am just
    commenting on the general conversation!
    Sym, Sep 6, 2006
  17. Torben Birk

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Torben Birk wrote:

    > I want to take measures if user hasn't the framework installed. And if not
    > they will be prompted to install it in order to take advantage of services.

    Okay, I think I understand what you are trying to do. The only thing I
    can think of is to use an ActiveX control to test for it - that's the
    only way that you'll be able to get enough access to the user's system.

    The trick would be checking to see if something like
    "c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\aspnet_regiis.exe" exists
    on the system or not, with tests for the other versions that you also
    support.

    There's probably a better way of doing it, but I'm not sure I can think
    of any.

    Dylan Parry, Sep 6, 2006
  18. Torben Birk

    Torben Birk Guest

    Correct me if I'm wrong - but a Browser cannot access File System without
    permision

    Torben Birk, Sep 6, 2006
  19. Torben Birk

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Torben Birk wrote:

    > Correct me if I'm wrong - but a Browser cannot access File System without
    > permision

    That's why I suggest you use ActiveX. The user can then say that they
    allow the control to run. You won't be able to do it any other way.

    Dylan Parry, Sep 6, 2006
  20. Sym wrote:
    > Jeez - i think the guy is asking the question in regard to an app he is
    > distributing via html, and that the end users will be on windows and
    > use IE as their UI.
    >
    > So no funny comments on whats a registry and that is not a web site etc
    > required, yes we alll know many people are on *nix (myself :)) or apple
    > or Dec Vax even but i think it is obvious what this guy is asking for.
    > or maybe not ?
    >
    > maybe this group should be renamed alt.flame ;)

    Maybe all newsgroup names should be treated as merely suggestions, and
    people should feel free to ask questions and initiate discussions about
    knitting or phlebitis or Thailand or Tom Cruise or artificial
    intelligence anywhere they happen to be browsing at the moment they
    think to post.

    What is wrong with suggesting that everyone--posters and readers
    alike--benefits from users' selection of appropriate groups for their
    contributions? Why is pointing users in a better direction an affront?
    Harlan Messinger, Sep 6, 2006