Detecting if browser has installed .NET Framework 2.0

Torben Birk

Hello

I wonder if there is a easier way to dertermine whether a browser-client has
"installed" .NET2.0 framework than parsing the "navigator.userAgent" for the
string "net clr 2.0". I use it to select which code to run when browser log
on to my web-server.

My problem is that some MS-OS do not deliver the userAgent value

Best Regards

Torben Birk

Andy Dingley

Torben said:
I wonder if there is a easier way to dertermine whether a browser-client has
"installed" .NET2.0 framework

if (site_requires_weird_client_side_runtime):
delete_site_and_start_again()

Sym

if (site_requires_weird_client_side_runtime):
delete_site_and_start_again()

I can think of many reasons why you may want to check for this. e.g.
what if he has a site specifically for .net developers and he wants to
detect what version of .net they have.

;)

Dylan Parry

Torben said:
I wonder if there is a easier way to dertermine whether a browser-client has
"installed" .NET2.0 framework than parsing the "navigator.userAgent" for the
string "net clr 2.0". I use it to select which code to run when browser log
on to my web-server.

Unless I am missing something here... If you are running the code on the
server then it doesn't matter whether or not the user has the .Net
Framework installed. Or are you talking about something different?

--
Dylan Parry

Programming, n: A pastime similar to banging one's head
against a wall, but with fewer opportunities for reward.

Torben Birk

Hi

I want to take measures if user hasn't the framework installed. And if not
they will be prompted to install it in order to take advantage of services.

BR

Torben Birk

Jonathan N. Little

##TOP POSTING CORRECTED##
I want to take measures if user hasn't the framework installed. And if not
they will be prompted to install it in order to take advantage of services.

With modern browsers, many can modify their userAgent string, oh your
probably look at IE only...

Torben Birk

The relevant user will only access site with IE. It's a restricted area with
rules.

Pretty-please enlighten me with your to points I missed.

Torben

Sym

Jeez - i think the guy is asking the question in regard to an app he is
distributing via html, and that the end users will be on windows and
use IE as their UI.

So no funny comments on whats a registry and that is not a web site etc
required, yes we alll know many people are on *nix (myself :)) or apple
or Dec Vax even but i think it is obvious what this guy is asking for.
or maybe not ?

maybe this group should be renamed alt.flame ;)

ps i am not top/bottom/inline/anything posting here, i am just
commenting on the general conversation!

Dylan Parry

Torben said:
I want to take measures if user hasn't the framework installed. And if not
they will be prompted to install it in order to take advantage of services.

Okay, I think I understand what you are trying to do. The only thing I
can think of is to use an ActiveX control to test for it - that's the
only way that you'll be able to get enough access to the user's system.

The trick would be checking to see if something like
"c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\aspnet_regiis.exe" exists
on the system or not, with tests for the other versions that you also
support.

There's probably a better way of doing it, but I'm not sure I can think
of any.

--
Dylan Parry

Programming, n: A pastime similar to banging one's head
against a wall, but with fewer opportunities for reward.

Torben Birk

Correct me if I'm wrong - but a Browser cannot access File System without
permision

Dylan Parry

Torben said:
Correct me if I'm wrong - but a Browser cannot access File System without
permision

That's why I suggest you use ActiveX. The user can then say that they
allow the control to run. You won't be able to do it any other way.

--
Dylan Parry

Programming, n: A pastime similar to banging one's head
against a wall, but with fewer opportunities for reward.

Harlan Messinger

Sym said:
Jeez - i think the guy is asking the question in regard to an app he is
distributing via html, and that the end users will be on windows and
use IE as their UI.

So no funny comments on whats a registry and that is not a web site etc
required, yes we alll know many people are on *nix (myself :)) or apple
or Dec Vax even but i think it is obvious what this guy is asking for.
or maybe not ?

maybe this group should be renamed alt.flame ;)

Maybe all newsgroup names should be treated as merely suggestions, and
people should feel free to ask questions and initiate discussions about
knitting or phlebitis or Thailand or Tom Cruise or artificial
intelligence anywhere they happen to be browsing at the moment they
think to post.

What is wrong with suggesting that everyone--posters and readers
alike--benefits from users' selection of appropriate groups for their
contributions? Why is pointing users in a better direction an affront?