    Thanks in advance for any help.

    Regards

    Robb

    Robb Meade, Aug 28, 2003

  2. Robb Meade

    Robb Meade Guest

    I should have added, obviously replies to emails being sent back and forth
    from client to 'us' would need to be recorded also - ie, we'd detect the
    ticket number/id in the subject etc...

    Robb Meade, Aug 28, 2003

  3. I've never done this, but I'm willing to pass on what
    little I do know.

    You would need to have some kind of email service. This
    could be something as simple as an email account from your
    ISP. (POP3)

    Then you would write code that would check that email
    account on a regular basis. There are many packages
    available on the internet (some free) that allow you to
    access a POP3 account from VBScript. Do a search at
    www.aspfaq.com, www.aspin.com. Part of this would also be
    the code to update your database and send any response
    emails necessary.

    If your server is an exchange server, there are many 3rd
    party tools that will allow you to "read" your exchange
    inbox and process accordingly. In fact, there are examples
    of how to access your exchange folders on Microsoft's web
    site.

    I hope some of this has at least given you an idea of
    where to go from here.

    John

    John Beschler, Aug 28, 2003
  4. Robb Meade

    Robb Meade Guest

    Thanks all for the replies.

    Can anyone provide any links to 'free' components that I could use whilst
    trying to test/develop this - happy to buy one when I know its all going to
    work - but the one at serverobjects.com is a bit pricey for purely testing
    purposes...

    Still not sure that ASP is the way to go with this to be honest, I dont
    think I can write something in ASP that will dynamically check for emails
    without literally having a window open all the time and refreshing it...I
    guess I need something else in between that does the check and does the
    database update :eek:/

    Thanks again for the replies.

    Robb Meade, Aug 29, 2003