Determine Client's MAC Address?

Selden McCabe

Does anyone know how to determine the client's MAC address from
within ASP.Net? I suppose it would have to be java or vb script running
on the browser, but I haven't been able to find an example...

Thanks,
---Selden McCabe

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

This information is secured to protect user's privacy.
Therefore you'd need a thick client running on the user's machine to be able
to get at this information.
Such a client program would likely need to be created with a .NET language
such as VB.NET or C#.

John Saunders

Selden McCabe said:
Does anyone know how to determine the client's MAC address from
within ASP.Net? I suppose it would have to be java or vb script running
on the browser, but I haven't been able to find an example...

This information would only be available if your ASP.NET server were on the
same subnet as the client. It would then be valuable until the user swaps
NIC cards or motherboards.

Selden McCabe

That's OK, becuase it's for a college to register various user's laptops.
They want me to create a web page for the users to "register" their laptops
with the network administrator. The user fills in things like name,
address,
email, and they would like the web page to get the Mac address
automatically...

Would that be possible? And if not, how about the IP address?
I remember reading somewhere about some sort of service that
could (maybe) get the mac address from the IP...

---Selden

John Saunders

If the MAC address is on the laptop, then you need to get it from the
laptop. It's not the network's job to pass the MAC address to you.

The IP address might be worthless. It might change every time they connect
to the network.

If I were you, I'd back off and go determine exactly what pieces of data are
meant to be "registered", then figure out how the client could get that
information. The last step would be getting the information from the client
to the server.