    Thanks in advance.

    --
    Bob Morvay

    rmorvay, May 7, 2007

  2. rmorvay

    Mark Rae Guest

    "rmorvay" <> wrote in message
    news:%23UNX%...

    >I need to know if there is a way to determine the amount of RAM that a
    >person has on their workstation from a web application. We are using
    >BrowserHawk to mine HTTP information but I also need to know amount of RAM.
    >Is this possible?

    I don't believe so, as it's not something comes which across in the request
    headers, as you already know...

    If this is a closed intranet and all the clients use IE, then you could
    write an ActiveX control which used WMI to determine this. Piece of cake in
    itself, but you'd have to seriously ramp down your security to get it to
    work...

    If it's on the public Internet, though, I'd say you have virtually no chance
    at all...

    --
    http://www.markrae.net

    Mark Rae, May 7, 2007

  3. Hello rmorvay,

    Use WMI. "Select TotalPhysicalMemory from Win32_ComputerSystem"

    ---
    WBR, Michael Nemtsev [.NET/C# MVP].
    My blog: http://spaces.live.com/laflour
    Team blog: http://devkids.blogspot.com/

    r> I need to know if there is a way to determine the amount of RAM that
    r> a person has on their workstation from a web application. We are
    r> using BrowserHawk to mine HTTP information but I also need to know
    r> amount of RAM. Is this possible?
    r>
    r> Thanks in advance.
    r>

    Michael Nemtsev, May 7, 2007
  4. Hello Michael ,

    emm, missed that are u taking about client.
    There is no standard way, except you introduce an activeX control in your
    form

    Btw, why do u need to know this?

    ---

    Michael Nemtsev, May 7, 2007
  5. rmorvay

    rmorvay Guest

    It is for a business requirement to determine the right level of software to
    ship to our customers. I think this is going to be a can of worms as I
    cannot be ascertain of the platform, OS or Browser being used in the initial
    transaction.

    Thanks for the reply. I may just have to recommend that we ask them for
    this info.

    --
    Bob Morvay

    rmorvay, May 7, 2007
  6. Hello rmorvay,

    As alternative solution, you can suggest to download the simple app, which
    being run on the client machine collect all desired info and send it to u

    ---
    WBR, Michael Nemtsev [.NET/C# MVP].
    My blog: http://spaces.live.com/laflour
    Team blog: http://devkids.blogspot.com/

    r> It is for a business requirement to determine the right level of
    r> software to ship to our customers. I think this is going to be a can
    r> of worms as I cannot be ascertain of the platform, OS or Browser
    r> being used in the initial transaction.
    r>
    r> Thanks for the reply. I may just have to recommend that we ask them
    r> for this info.
    r>

    Michael Nemtsev, May 7, 2007