Determine RAM using Web Application...

rmorvay

I need to know if there is a way to determine the amount of RAM that a
person has on their workstation from a web application. We are using
BrowserHawk to mine HTTP information but I also need to know amount of RAM.
Is this possible?

Thanks in advance.

Mark Rae

I need to know if there is a way to determine the amount of RAM that a
person has on their workstation from a web application. We are using
BrowserHawk to mine HTTP information but I also need to know amount of RAM.
Is this possible?

I don't believe so, as it's not something comes which across in the request
headers, as you already know...

If this is a closed intranet and all the clients use IE, then you could
write an ActiveX control which used WMI to determine this. Piece of cake in
itself, but you'd have to seriously ramp down your security to get it to
work...

If it's on the public Internet, though, I'd say you have virtually no chance
at all...

Michael Nemtsev

Hello rmorvay,

Use WMI. "Select TotalPhysicalMemory from Win32_ComputerSystem"

---
WBR, Michael Nemtsev [.NET/C# MVP].
My blog: http://spaces.live.com/laflour
Team blog: http://devkids.blogspot.com/

r> I need to know if there is a way to determine the amount of RAM that
r> a person has on their workstation from a web application. We are
r> using BrowserHawk to mine HTTP information but I also need to know
r> amount of RAM. Is this possible?
r>
r> Thanks in advance.
r>

Michael Nemtsev

Hello Michael ,

emm, missed that are u taking about client.
There is no standard way, except you introduce an activeX control in your
form

Btw, why do u need to know this?

---
WBR, Michael Nemtsev [.NET/C# MVP].
My blog: http://spaces.live.com/laflour
Team blog: http://devkids.blogspot.com/

MN> Hello rmorvay,
MN>
MN> Use WMI. "Select TotalPhysicalMemory from Win32_ComputerSystem"
MN>
MN> ---
MN> WBR, Michael Nemtsev [.NET/C# MVP].
MN> My blog: http://spaces.live.com/laflour
MN> Team blog: http://devkids.blogspot.com/
MN> "The greatest danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high
MN> and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it" (c)
MN> Michelangelo

r>> I need to know if there is a way to determine the amount of RAM that
r>> a person has on their workstation from a web application. We are
r>> using BrowserHawk to mine HTTP information but I also need to know
r>> amount of RAM. Is this possible?
r>>
r>> Thanks in advance.
r>>

rmorvay

It is for a business requirement to determine the right level of software to
ship to our customers. I think this is going to be a can of worms as I
cannot be ascertain of the platform, OS or Browser being used in the initial
transaction.

Thanks for the reply. I may just have to recommend that we ask them for
this info.

Michael Nemtsev

Hello rmorvay,

As alternative solution, you can suggest to download the simple app, which
being run on the client machine collect all desired info and send it to u

---
WBR, Michael Nemtsev [.NET/C# MVP].
My blog: http://spaces.live.com/laflour
Team blog: http://devkids.blogspot.com/

r> It is for a business requirement to determine the right level of
r> software to ship to our customers. I think this is going to be a can
r> of worms as I cannot be ascertain of the platform, OS or Browser
r> being used in the initial transaction.
r>
r> Thanks for the reply. I may just have to recommend that we ask them
r> for this info.
r>