determine whether a field is numeric, alpha or alphanumeric

shirazk

is their a function or way to determine whether a field, or variable
for that matter, is numeric, alpha or alphanumeric?
thanks in advance

Anno Siegel

is their a function or way to determine whether a field, or variable
for that matter, is numeric, alpha or alphanumeric?
thanks in advance

perldoc -q 'is a number' leads to "How do I determine whether a scalar
is a number/whole/integer/float?". Please check the FAQ before posting.

Anno

Shiraz

that finds out if a scaler is a number or not. i want to see if there
is a way to find out if its am alphanumeric, so contains both alphabets
and numbers and maybe punctuation

Peter Wyzl

: that finds out if a scaler is a number or not. i want to see if there
: is a way to find out if its am alphanumeric, so contains both alphabets
: and numbers and maybe punctuation

So take the answer from the FAQ, apply two grams of brain power and call
again if your solution does not give the desired results.

Tad McClellan

Shiraz said:
i want to see if there
is a way to find out if its am alphanumeric, so contains both alphabets
and numbers and maybe punctuation

Yes, there is a way.

Use regular expressions and the match operator.

perldoc perlrequick
perldoc perlretut
perldoc perlre

perldoc -f m
perldoc perlop

If you post your code here, we will help you fix it.

Tad McClellan

Shiraz said:
damn this is a hostile group

No, this is a group where people are expected to expend a little
of their own effort before asking hundreds of others to spend
effort on their behalf.

We help people fix Perl code, we don't generally write their
Perl code for them.

Take your best shot at solving your problem, and if it doesn't work,
post your broken code here and we will help you fix it.

Tad McClellan

Shiraz said:
i appreciate you pointing me in the right direction....

Who pointed you in the right direction?

Please quote some context in followups like everybody else does.