Determining Browser Vendor, Version, and Operating System With JavaScript

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Beline, Jun 4, 2010.

  1. Beline

    Beline Guest

    Beline, Jun 4, 2010

  2. Gregor Kofler, Jun 4, 2010

  3. Re: Determining Browser Vendor, Version, and Operating System WithJavaScript

    On Jun 4, 12:21 pm, Beline wrote:
    > I tried to find the currect version of universal detection javascript,
    > for OS, Browser, and Browser Version(all in one),

    Given the hundreds (probably thousands) of permutations, what exactly
    do you intend doing with that information, assuming that there were
    any means of gathering it?

    > but find only old
    > http://www-archive.mozilla.org/docs/web-developer/sniffer/browser_type.html

    A page that starts with the warning:- "This document is obsolete and
    the information in it should not be relied upon. The practices
    described here are not recommended and this document is provided only
    for historical reference. Please see the web-developer documentation
    index page for more up-to-date documentation."

    Where the "practices" that are "not recommended" are attempting to use
    javascript (or anything else) to determine the OS, Browser, and
    Browser Version.

    > Is there up-to-dated version of this script?

    The practice is obsolete so an up-to-date version is a contradiction
    (which does not mean that there will not be recently written verions).

    Richard.

    Richard Cornford, Jun 4, 2010
  4. Beline

    Bwig Zomberi Guest

    Beline wrote:
    > I tried to find the currect version of universal detection javascript,
    > for OS, Browser, and Browser Version(all in one), but find only old
    > http://www-archive.mozilla.org/docs/web-developer/sniffer/browser_type.html
    >
    > Is there up-to-dated version of this script?

    Detection based on useragent is old hat, as the useragent can be spoofed.

    However I use a similar script for my referrer logs. I don't care for
    accuracy.
    http://www.vsubhash.com/js/really_ultimate_client_sniffer.js

    --
    Bwig Zomberi

    Bwig Zomberi, Jun 4, 2010
  5. Beline

    Beline Guest

    "Bwig Zomberi" <> wrote in message
    > Beline wrote:
    >> I tried to find the currect version of universal detection javascript,
    >> for OS, Browser, and Browser Version(all in one), but find only old
    >> http://www-archive.mozilla.org/docs/web-developer/sniffer/browser_type.html
    >>
    >> Is there up-to-dated version of this script?

    > Detection based on useragent is old hat, as the useragent can be spoofed.
    >
    > However I use a similar script for my referrer logs. I don't care for
    > accuracy.
    > http://www.vsubhash.com/js/really_ultimate_client_sniffer.js
    >

    > --
    > Bwig Zomberi

    ----
    it would be nice to add to this script also a few Plug-in detection option
    (Adobe Reader, Flash, Java, QuickTime): all in one.
    That would be very handy. Someone?

    Beline, Jun 4, 2010
  6. Beline

    Frobernik Guest

    Richard Cornford wrote:
    >> but find only old
    >> http://www-archive.mozilla.org/docs/web-developer/sniffer/browser_type.html

    > A page that starts with the warning:- "This document is obsolete and
    > the information in it should not be relied upon. The practices
    > described here are not recommended and this document is provided only
    > for historical reference. Please see the web-developer documentation
    > index page for more up-to-date documentation."

    Even following the 'web-developer documentation index page' link goes to
    a page that has another warning '...Most of this content is highly out
    of date...' ::)

    Save your sanity - don't use it

    Frobernik, Jun 5, 2010