    there a good way to "guess" the content type for arbritary file name? Every
    web server has a mapping from file extension to content type, but how do I
    get this from ASP.NET? Thanks!

    Stephen Walch, Jan 5, 2005

  2. Stephen Walch

    Curt_C [MVP] Guest

    Could use a huge CASE statement with the extensions for the files and the
    content type normally associated.

    --
    Curt Christianson
    Site: http://www.Darkfalz.com

    Curt_C [MVP], Jan 5, 2005

  3. Hi Stephen,

    In addition to Curt_C's suggestion on use a huge CASE to determine the
    file's contenttype accroding to the filename extention, you can also
    consider use the 'application/octet-stream' as a common value if you're not
    sure about the exact MIME TYPE of your filestream. Here is the msdn
    reference on how IE browser detect the download stream's content Type:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/networking/monik
    er/overview/appendix_a.asp

    Hope also helps.

    Regards,