Determining QName from a URIref in RDFS

John L. Clark

Given a Property definition in RDFS, how can one determine the
corresponding QName? I believe an example will be very illustrative;
I will do my best to explain my confusion afterwards. Using the
following RDF/XML:

<rdf:RDF xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/"
xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#">
<rdf:property rdf:about="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/title">
<!-- additional properties of this Property snipped for brevity
-->
</rdf:property>
</rdf:RDF>

How can one determine that this should be represented as the QName
namespace:element (often referred to as dc:title with respect to this
example, but any prefix could be used)? In general, say an
application has as a reference an RDF schema, how can that application
make statements using Properties (and potentially other elements, such
as Classes) defined in that schema?

As just one example of where this sort of technique is hinted at in
the specification, the RDF primer mentions the shortcut of replacing
the rdf:Description element with the QName of the value of the
rdf:type property (which is then removed from the list of properties
for the Description). How can this "QName corresponding to the value
of the the removed rdf:type property (a URIref that names a class)"
(see the paragraph immediately preceding example 13 in RDF Primer,
http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-primer/#example13) be generated?

Thanks, and take care,

John L. Clark