Determining the exact location and current state of any controls

Peter Olcott

Someone told me that determining the exact location and current state of any
JavaScript controls is pretty easy. Does anyone know exactly how this is done?

Evertjan.

Peter Olcott wrote on 15 aug 2006 in comp.lang.javascript:
Someone told me that determining the exact location and current state
of any JavaScript controls is pretty easy. Does anyone know exactly
how this is done?

Javascript has no controls.

Perhaps you are using asp.net controls?

Try over at microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.

Matt Kruse

Peter said:
Someone told me that determining the exact location and current state
of any JavaScript controls is pretty easy. Does anyone know exactly
how this is done?

Depends. In some cases, finding location is easy. In others, it's not so
easy.

Generalized code which handles most cases to find an object's location can
be found here:
http://www.javascripttoolbox.com/lib/objectposition/

You're too vague about what "current state" means and what "javascript
controls" are to be more helpful than that.

Peter Olcott

Evertjan. said:
Peter Olcott wrote on 15 aug 2006 in comp.lang.javascript:

Javascript has no controls.

Perhaps you are using asp.net controls?

Try over at microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.

I need this to work for every webpage. I heard that Ajax can do this, and
JavaScript is a part of Ajax.

Peter Olcott

Matt Kruse said:
Depends. In some cases, finding location is easy. In others, it's not so easy.

Generalized code which handles most cases to find an object's location can be
found here:
http://www.javascripttoolbox.com/lib/objectposition/

You're too vague about what "current state" means and what "javascript
controls" are to be more helpful than that.

Controls are such things as checkboxes and pushbuttons, and current state would
be things such as whether or not the checkbox is currently checked or unchecked.

Evertjan.

Peter Olcott wrote on 15 aug 2006 in comp.lang.javascript:
Controls are such things as checkboxes and pushbuttons, and current
state would be things such as whether or not the checkbox is currently
checked or unchecked.

Perhaps you could call them html-controls, though that term is NOT used,
except in asp.net.

checkboxes and pushbuttons certainly are not javascript controls.

Sym

I need this to work for every webpage. I heard that Ajax can do this, and
JavaScript is a part of Ajax.

Ajax stands for Asynchronous Javascript and XML, Ajax is irrelevent in
this question, it is a technique for your scripting language to
communicate with a back end server.

Java script itself can look at the browsers dom and deterrine the
"state" of many of the objects. Also compiled programs such as c++ will
be able to do the same with the browser window.

rgds
Sym.

Peter Olcott

Sym said:
Ajax stands for Asynchronous Javascript and XML, Ajax is irrelevent in
this question, it is a technique for your scripting language to
communicate with a back end server.

Java script itself can look at the browsers dom and deterrine the
"state" of many of the objects. Also compiled programs such as c++ will
be able to do the same with the browser window.

How would compiled C++ do this?

Evertjan.

Peter Olcott wrote on 15 aug 2006 in comp.lang.javascript:
How would compiled C++ do this?

Simple:

Like any other serverside programming
it would have to generate a html cum clientside code stream
that is sent to the client.

....... I suppose.

Lasse Reichstein Nielsen

Evertjan. said:
Perhaps you could call them html-controls, though that term is NOT used,
except in asp.net.

.... or, as the HTML specification names them: form controls.

/L