Determining the Integrated Windows Authentication type

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Jim Dennison, Sep 14, 2004.

  1. Jim Dennison

    Jim Dennison Guest

    I'd like to be able to determine whether Kerberos was used to
    authenticate the user that is accessing an ASPX page protected by
    Windows Integrated Authentication.

    I've tried calling the 'WindowsIdentity.AuthenticationType' property
    from within the page; the documentation for AuthenticationType claims
    that 'Basic authentication, NTLM, Kerberos, and Passport are examples
    of authentication types.';

    see http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...ipaliidentityclassauthenticationtypetopic.asp.

    However, WindowsIdentity.AuthenticationType _always_ seems to return a
    value of 'Negotiate', regardless of whether the client (browser box)
    and web server are both in Win2K or Win2K3 domains, or a mixture, and
    whether or not I am prompted by the browser for credentials, or passed
    straight through.

    Is this a limitation of the WindowsIdentity.AuthenticationType API
    when used in an ASPX page, or more likely a configuration issue? If
    the former, is there some other .NET API that can tell me what
    underlying authentication system was used (e.g. Kerberos, NTLM)?

    Any ideas gratefully received !

    Jim

    Jim Dennison, Sep 14, 2004