    Is there a way to determine the JVM Threading Model used on Windows?
    Any assistance in determining this would be of great benefit.

    Thanks!
    Kevin Erickson, Feb 27, 2007

  2. Kevin  Erickson

    Chris Uppal Guest

    Kevin Erickson wrote:

    > Is there a way to determine the JVM Threading Model used on Windows?

    I believe that all Sun JVMs for Windows (since at least JDK 1.3) have used a
    1-to-1 model, i.e. 1 OS-thread for each Java thread.

    Other vendors' JVMs will probably be different (I'm pretty sure the BEA
    "JRockit" JVM has green threads even on Windows).

    I don't know of any defined way to find out how Java threads are mapped to OS
    threads from Java code. I suspect that it would come down to checking system
    properties like java.vendor, and then looking for vendor-specific properties.

    -- chris
    Chris Uppal, Feb 27, 2007

  3. Chris Uppal wrote:
    > Kevin Erickson wrote:
    >
    >> Is there a way to determine the JVM Threading Model used on Windows?

    > I believe that all Sun JVMs for Windows (since at least JDK 1.3) have
    > used a 1-to-1 model, i.e. 1 OS-thread for each Java thread.
    >
    > Other vendors' JVMs will probably be different (I'm pretty sure the
    > BEA "JRockit" JVM has green threads even on Windows).
    >
    > I don't know of any defined way to find out how Java threads are
    > mapped to OS threads from Java code. I suspect that it would come
    > down to checking system properties like java.vendor, and then looking
    > for vendor-specific properties.

    As a gross estimate, at least, you can run Java programs that create various
    numbers of threads and use the task manager to see how many OS threads were
    created..
    Mike Schilling, Feb 27, 2007