Determining the JVM Threading Model used on Windows

Kevin Erickson

Hello,

Is there a way to determine the JVM Threading Model used on Windows?
Any assistance in determining this would be of great benefit.

Thanks!

Chris Uppal

Kevin said:
Is there a way to determine the JVM Threading Model used on Windows?

I believe that all Sun JVMs for Windows (since at least JDK 1.3) have used a
1-to-1 model, i.e. 1 OS-thread for each Java thread.

Other vendors' JVMs will probably be different (I'm pretty sure the BEA
"JRockit" JVM has green threads even on Windows).

I don't know of any defined way to find out how Java threads are mapped to OS
threads from Java code. I suspect that it would come down to checking system
properties like java.vendor, and then looking for vendor-specific properties.

-- chris

Mike Schilling

Chris said:
I believe that all Sun JVMs for Windows (since at least JDK 1.3) have
used a 1-to-1 model, i.e. 1 OS-thread for each Java thread.

Other vendors' JVMs will probably be different (I'm pretty sure the
BEA "JRockit" JVM has green threads even on Windows).

I don't know of any defined way to find out how Java threads are
mapped to OS threads from Java code. I suspect that it would come
down to checking system properties like java.vendor, and then looking
for vendor-specific properties.

As a gross estimate, at least, you can run Java programs that create various
numbers of threads and use the task manager to see how many OS threads were
created..